Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need help in cisco hardware choice...

Hello!

Recently I started moving my network structure towards hierarchial model recommended by Cisco.

During this proccess I got confused with making choice of active network hardware (Cisco, of course ;)) needed in my case.

Now about what I've got:

Four-storeyed building, each floor has 37-40 workplaces. Backbone (vertical) cabling (floor wiring closets with main wiring closet) is Multi-mode Fiber. Server farm with 15-20 servers. I have voice gateway (cisco2811+CCME),access server gateway (cisco2511), gateway+firewall (edge router to Internet) and DMZ with pop3/smtp and http servers.

In the Access Layer I plan to use 48-port Gbit swithces for workgroups (one per floor), one 24-port Gbit switch for server farm, one 24-port Gbit switch for WAN block (and make DMZ with vlan on it).

In the Core+distribution Layer I plan to use two L2/L3 switches and connect them with access layer swithces with fiber MM links (two links to two L3 switches per access switch).

The first question is can I connect voice gateway and as2511 directly to one of the L3 switches (for less delays) or to one of the access layer switches (for higher avaliability) ?

The second question - what cisco switches to use on each layer?

For now I plan for the Access layer: WS-C3560G-48TS-S (Catalyst 3560 48 10/100/1000T + 4 SFP Standard Image) with two GLC-SX-MM (1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver module for MMF, 850-nm wavelength).

And for the core layer - WS-C3750G-24TS-S1U (Catalyst 3750 24 10/100/1000 + 4 SFP Std Multilayer;1RU.

Please let me know wether it is a good choice or there are better recommendations.

Thanks!

Alex

DAO21-RIPE
1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Need help in cisco hardware choice...

Answer for Q1) If you are planning for a redundant voice gateway, you can connect them via an access switch. Else, you can directly connect to the core.

Answer for Q2) 3560 is a good choice for access layer. But for distribution/core you cane go for 4500 series, as they are easlily scalable and giver better throughtput than 3750s.

There are couple of reference network designs, which you can have a look.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_design_guidances_list.html#anchor2

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content