Views
Helpful
Replies

Netflow and Multicast

ssieger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i want to enable netflow for multicast on my 6509-E with IOS s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI2a. I've checked the ios via software advisor to be sure that this feature ist supported:

Minimum Compatible Release 5 Additional Software

12.2SXJ  Early Deployment  View   View 

View   512  512  N/A   12.2(33)SXJ

s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.12.2-33.SXJ  12.2(33)SXJ  N/A 

12.2SXI  Early Deployment  View   View 

View   512  512  N/A   12.2(33)SXI1

s72033-advipservicesk9-mz.12.2-33.SXI1  12.2(33)SXI 

I've used the command "ip multicast netflow output-counters", but that is not enough, i guess. It is required to use further interface commands like "ip multicast netflow....", isn't it? But this commands are not available:

Cisco6509(config-if)#ip multicast ?

boundary       Boundary for administratively scoped multicast addresses

helper-map     Broadcast to Multicast map OR Multicast to ip-address map

limit          Limit multicast mroute state

rate-limit     Rate limit multicast data packets

ttl-threshold  TTL threshold for multicast packetscore1(config-if)#ip multicast ?
  boundary       Boundary for administratively scoped multicast addresses
  helper-map     Broadcast to Multicast map OR Multicast to ip-address map
  limit          Limit multicast mroute state
  rate-limit     Rate limit multicast data packets
  ttl-threshold  TTL threshold for multicast packets

Does anybody know what is going wrong here?

Thanks,

Stephan

3 Replies 3

Balaji K
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

from the following document it looks like we only need to add  ip flow command on the l3 interface

The ip multicast netflow output-counters enables the calculation of output bytes/packets for an ingress flow.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/netflow.html#wp1134280

Hi,

thank's for your respond but that command only is not enough, i guess. Additional commands may be necessary like flow-export version 9. There are no multicast flows visible in my collector, but on the switch with the command "sh mls netflow ip multicast flow udp | i 5004" they are. Is it possible that still some command are missing in our ios version, for example the command "mls nde sender version 9" command is not available.

Hi,

From 12.2(18)SXF IOS, Multicast IP Traffic exported is supported. Can you enable NetFlow version 9 export (ip flow export version 9) and then configure as per the below doc (This doc advices a different config for NetFlow export with multicast traffic):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/netflow.html#wp1134280

Router(config-if)# ip flow ingress                                       Enables NetFlow on the interface.

Router(config-if)# ip multicast netflow {ingress | egress}      Enables NetFlow multicast traffic on the specified interface (for MSFC and PFC)

Moreover, please remember that the NetFlow collector also should have thye capability to process NetFlow packets with Multicast traffic. Do check with your NetFlow collector vendor that they support multicast traffic as that can also be a reason on why you do not see multicast traffic info.

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

www.netflowanalyzer.com

NOTE: Please rate posts and close questions if your query has been answered

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: