cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NetFlow

Paul Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I am trying to understand NetFlow and have the feeling I may ne missing something. I was under the impression that to use NetFlow you needed to have a NetFlow card, but most of my reading around the site would indicate that its all done via software.

Please could someone correct me on this. We have a 6500 with MSFC2

6 Replies 6

Thanks for the reply. A couple of other questions - we are using mls on the 6500 - is it possible to monitor the traffic on mls as well.

Also I read about a PFC is this needed at all?

Lastly - can I use Cisco LMS as a flow collector or does it need another (third party?) application.

You can use Cisco collector, you can export netflow version 5 or 7 from the mls,

see command mls nde and mls flow ... or visit http://netflow.caligare.com/configuration_native.htm for information how to configure netflow export for the Native IOS.

Peter

Keep in mind the flow table size is entirely dependent on your msfc version. PFC3b can only handle 128K flows in the table and has a pretty horrible hash efficiency. The BXL is better, but still only has 256K flow entries in the table. I cannot use netflow in my 6500's or 7600's becuase I push around 300K flows per second through the boxes....

natamen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

This might not be the answer you are expecting but as far as I know most/all of the "NetFlow" features are performed via software BUT be sure that your hardware is capable of supporting it. Hardware means Engine version, memory size, processors and so on...

I am sorry no one else has replied to your question.

Maybe we are visting the wrong forum.

Regards,

Nataniel

Upsss, I just saw the replies...

I apologize =S

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: