cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Discovery not populating hostname

bcon8ive32
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2.6 setup and I'm having problems with the hostname not populating in my device lists. After running a discovery in Campus Manager, the only thing that is populated in the DCE is the IP address for the hostname, IP address, and Display Name. I know that it can poll the hostname because it shows up in the DME inventory details.

This is part of a secondary problem that I'm struggling with. I'm trying to find a way to create custom groups based on the hostname.

Is there anything that I need to change in CW or on the devices themselves. They have SNMP, CDP, VTP, and Syslog setup, but not DNS.

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to verify that the management IP address (i.e. the one in DCR) is properly resolvable to a hostname using the NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl utility:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl

Once the IP is resolving properly to a hostname, that hostname should be updated in DCR upon a successful Device Discovery. To get the display name to update in DCR, you will need to set nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName=true in NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/DeviceDiscovery.properties, then re-run Discovery.