Views
Helpful
Replies

Network monitoring and reporting tools

Steve Coady
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I my organization I have "pieces/parts - limited licenses to the following tools

Cisco Prime,

Solarwinds,

OpNet,

Fluke VPM

I have been asked to "make the best of these"!

Does anyone have experience with these and provide some guidance on how I can align/configure these tools to

provide a synergistic network monitoring tool?

sMc
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the environment you'rte monitoring comprised of? The answer to that guides your product selection.

An all-Cisco network is often better served by Cisco Prime Infrastructure and/or LMS (license included with PI).

SolarWinds NPM  is more multi-vendor and a bit easier to setup. There are about a dozen  piece of the SolarWinds solution however (NPM, NCM, NTA, VNQM, UDT, etc....) and the basic NPM doesn't do a lot of things you might want.

OpNet is powerful but, in my experience, requires one or more staff full time to leverage its capabilities.

Fluke VPM I don't know but they generally make great products.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the environment you'rte monitoring comprised of? The answer to that guides your product selection.

An all-Cisco network is often better served by Cisco Prime Infrastructure and/or LMS (license included with PI).

SolarWinds NPM  is more multi-vendor and a bit easier to setup. There are about a dozen  piece of the SolarWinds solution however (NPM, NCM, NTA, VNQM, UDT, etc....) and the basic NPM doesn't do a lot of things you might want.

OpNet is powerful but, in my experience, requires one or more staff full time to leverage its capabilities.

Fluke VPM I don't know but they generally make great products.

Marvin

Thank you for the insight.

The tool I have were purchased with the less is better guidance. That is why we have so many different tools, each with limited licensing. I have to make do with what I have and I am just trying to "tie" them together to give myself and this team the most detailed/pertinent picture of this network.

Thanks again.

sMc