Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Monitoring

sarfaraz.kazi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a site with a cisco 2811 connected to 03 cisco L3 switches (3650) and I would like to monitor the switches by SNMP from my NMS. The problem is that the cisco 2811 is configured on a public IP and the switches are configured on a private IP range. I would like to monitor the interface utilization and other details from my NMS site which is at different location.I have solarwinds, but since they are configured on a private IP range I cannot reach them through the internet. Can someone please guide me how can I efficiently monitor my switches?

Thanks and regards.

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Sarfaraz

You can try doing Static Nat configured in your router so that you can access your server using the natted public ip.

regds

amohabir1
Level 1
Level 1

What you might consider is setting up a vpn tunnel between your sites that will allow you to connect your private network range that the switches are on and use snmp there. Since snmp is not secure this is your best bet.

I am currently running that setup in my office. We have vpn tunnels to all of our remote locations and use snmp to monitor all of my network equipment. My vpn tunnels are setup with pix firewalls and the vpn concentrators. You can easily setup a vpn tunnel with your internet routers should you choose to do so.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: