cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Scripting

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering where everyone stood on for scripting to manage a network (primarily focusing on network devices like switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, DNS hardware, etc)

From people in my personal circles there was tons of answers for TCL.  A couple for CATTOOLS from solarwinds.  Others said VBS was they best way to go.  I am curious where the cisco community support forums members stand on scripting.

When you want to do something via scripts what do you use?  Why?

Cisco is currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've used all 3 you mentioned and each has it's place (IMO). I use VB with SecureCRT to do things like grab all the configs at smaller sites. CATTools does the same thing, but I find VB more flexible. TCL is fantastic, but not supported on all devices. I primarily use it to perform local device functions such as email the config when changes are made (when I'm working at a customer site). My favorite tool is Solarwinds NCM. Tons of features, easy to use and pretty reliable.