Views
Helpful
Replies

network structure with an adsl connection

harinirina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have adsl connection, a router/modem has been provided with it.

We are planning to protect our network with a pix.

I would like to kow if we should put our own router between the pix and the router provided by our ISP or not.

What's the inconvenient in case we directly connect a pix with our ISP's router.

Thanks in advanced

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

You can directly connect the connection from the ADSL modem onto ur pix firewall and configure your pix firewall to act as PPPOE client.

the same scenario is very well discussed on thisl ink ..

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00801055dd.shtml

regdf

Thanks very much for the reply.

I've read the doc and i know now the command to use.

concerning performance, security ,... What's better ?

connecting directly the connection into a pix or putting a router between ?

hi

What kinda router you are going to introduce between the internet cloud and the PIX firewall ??

Since your pix is gonna serve plain vanilla internet connectivity to the internal local clients ,y unecessary hop in front of PIX.

If you want to have a router again in front of the pix then you need to find out the ip addressing schemes which will be used on both the router and in the internal lan.

Also management wise you need to take care of both the router and PIX box.

If you are much concerned with the security part and want to have two tierd level of security with both router as well as pix you can alwayz opt for that.

Also there are no straight forward thumb rules in place for these kinda requirements..

PIX is a security appliance in which you need to open up the required port for the access which is the other way around in the routers in which you need to close the unwanted/unecessary ports.

regds

yes, i know i have to take care of both the router and PIX box in case another router is put between pix and internet,

it will be also more expensive.

I just want to be sure there's no problem with connecting pix directly to adsl before installing it.

I've seen a doc where configurations are needed both inside a pix and router to stop user's access to p2p

I don't know in what other case a router is necessary for this scenario .

Thanks very much, your answer is extremely helpful.