Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New to Cisco need some ideas

I have taken over temporarily (he was fired)for a tech at a hospital and i have limited knowledge on cisco.. They have a few things to fix...is there some way of mapping what vlas have been setup I also am not sure of what passwords were set up in each of the switches... there is limited documentation on this network ... there are around 6 catalyst 2950's a 3350 or 3550.. i basically need to know the best way to log into the switches to do such things as add ip address for a printer..can i use the cisco network assistant for this? I have the ip addresses of the switches however they are on different subnets for each floor. thanx for any help you can give me

1 REPLY

Re: New to Cisco need some ideas

Hi

You can login using the telnet command followed by the ip address of the switch.

once ur into the switch you can issue show vlans -- to view the active vlans,show run -- to view the runnin configuration.

These 2 commands will help u to understand the nos of vlans configured and which all are active over there.

so that you can startup ur documentation from there.

I feel u will ahve the hostname configured for each switch which is very much vital for this purpose.

once you are thru with that u can always mark out the trunk and access ports details too.

I feel u r 3550 here is doing all vital L3 funtionalities like intervlan routing etc..

You can loginto the 3550 also to understand how its exactly configured and for what purpose its been configured over there.

regds

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content