cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NM-NAM

gmoran
Level 1
Level 1

We have installed NM-NAMs in our 3845 edge routers. Per the Cisco documentation, I would like to have the internal port monitor WAN traffic on my outside interface and have set up a VLAN to allow connection to the external NAM interface for management only. These routers sit outside our firewall solution. I have set the internal interface to IP-unnumbered and have tried borrowing both a loopback address (non routable) and the IP address of the outside interface. I have added the external IP and the, at present, internal loopback IP to the access list. I am able to ping all interfaces from inside the NAM, but cannot ping the external interface from the router. When I login to the NAMs external interface and go to the setup and test window depending on which IP I router IP I assign I get a “No NAM associated” message or I get an SMNP read failure. We have verified that the SNMP community string names are correct.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

randy-clark
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue/troubles. I think it may be due to a misunderstanding of the term "management"

the documentation refers to management in terms of protocols (http, snmp, etc) and not just administrative access to the NAM. If this is true, then your solution may be rule changes on your firewall that sits between the routers and the external NAM interface.

hope this helps

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The NM-NAM can only have one management interface (i.e. the interface on which you connect via the web, telnet, ssh, etc.). If you cannot ping the management IP of the NAM, I suspect a configuration issue. If you want to use the external interface of the NAM for management, be sure you execute the command:

ip interface external

On the NAM, then reset it.