Views
Helpful
Replies

non CISCO unknown devices are being discovered in LMS

KAROLY KOHEGYI
Level 2
Level 2

Hi!

I have had no problem with discovery which was used on cdp basis so far.

Now the CDP packets do not arrive via new MPLS backbone network.  I have to use the "ping sweep feature in IP range" feature. I had to enter more than 400 subnet from file before there are more than 400 branches. ( etc. 10.31-9.1-50.252 255.255.255.252 )

I have experienced two problems

1. The discovery never end ( now this is not important ) :-)

2. The common services -- device management shows discovered unknown devices whose ip addresses out side the range what are entered by me in the ping sweep range and theirs OID is not CISCO.

(  1.3.6.1.4.1.2001.1.1.1.1  ,  1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.9.1  ,  1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.2  , 1.3.6.1.4.1.18334.1.1.1.2.1.7.1.2 and even more )

Due to more than 300 unknown devices the LMS device number is beyond the license number!!!!!

Our questions.

Why does lms add the unknown devices ( non cisco devices ) to the inventory ?

How could lms discover  these devices ??? ) ( theirs IP are out of ping sweep range and non cdp capable devices )

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depending on the discovery protocol (ping), LMS can still find some non-Cisco devices.  However, since they are most likely unreachable they do not get added to DCR.  That being said, what you are seeing is most likely CSCtb53468 which affects LMS 3.2.  If you are on LMS 3.1, there is also a cumulative patch which would be helpful.  I would suggest you open a TAC case to investigate this thoroughly and get patch.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depending on the discovery protocol (ping), LMS can still find some non-Cisco devices.  However, since they are most likely unreachable they do not get added to DCR.  That being said, what you are seeing is most likely CSCtb53468 which affects LMS 3.2.  If you are on LMS 3.1, there is also a cumulative patch which would be helpful.  I would suggest you open a TAC case to investigate this thoroughly and get patch.

Thank you!

The unknown devices were in unreachable state and they were added to DCR.

I don't use include or exclude filter what were referred by bug.

In spite of i use seed device list from file the LMS ping sweep debug log shows that LMS try to ping other IP addresses!!!!

You're right, it is not normally operation may be TAC will be needed to  solve it.

( whether who tested it ?)

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: