cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to remove User Defined Groups in RME

harrisn
Level 1
Level 1

After removing upgrading to LMS 2.6 we are not able to delet user defined groups in RME.

This looks like bug CSCsa33360

Has anyone found a work around? Will re-initializing RME remove the groups?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That was baffling why you could not delete the groups as admin. I'm glad it's working for you now.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not the bug you are running into. This bug was found before RME 4.0 ever shipped. What error are you seeing when you try to delete groups?

Yes, reinitializing the RME database will remove all of RME's user-defined groups, but it will also remove a lot of other data like inventory, configurations, and change history.

I am not seeing an error message at all, the delete button is grayed out.

I was told that the groups could be removed by modifying the registry, but the person that told me this did not know the specifics.

Thanks

If the delete button is grayed out, this points to a permissions problem. By this, I mean that you are not logged in as the user that owns this group.

If you click on the group name, you will see a username in the Created By field. Only that username may delete the group. If you cannot login as that user (and the user is not admin), then you can use the NMSROOT/bin/DeleteStaleGroups.{sh,cmd} script to remove ALL groups associated with that user (though this may not be what you want).

The complex solution to this, if what I said above does not work for you, is to reassign ownership of the groups through the database. This procedure will require you to open a TAC service request, so that they can walk you through direct database access, and the necessary SQL to reassign the ownership.

Deleting all groups is acceptable. It seem that though somone deleted the admin user I can still log in as admin but can't delete the groups. I will use the script to delete the groups.

Is there any way to restore the admin user?

The script will not work on the admin user. Deleting the admin user is bad. It is not easy to do. Is this server integrated with ACS?

No it is not integrated with ACS. Deletion if this admin account is just one of the many reasons this person no longer works here.

It appears that the Admin account is not completely gone since jobs are still running as admin and as I said I can still log in as admin. The admin account just does not show up under local user set up.

It will never show up under Local User Setup. That's why it's so hard to delete this account. If you cannot login as admin, you need to do a password recovery on the admin account. This procedure is documented at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_password_recovery09186a0080107dee.shtml .

Follow the procedure for RME 3.x. That same procedure will work for LMS 2.6.

After that, you will be able to login as admin, and remove the stale groups.

Ahh, but I can log in as admin, but I still cant delete the groups.

Please provide a screenshot showing the Group Administration page, highlighting a group you're trying to delete.

I am not sure what has changed in the last 5 minutes, I closed the window and re-opened it and now I can delete the groups. How frustrating.

Thanks for your assistance.

That was baffling why you could not delete the groups as admin. I'm glad it's working for you now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: