Views
Helpful
Replies

odd error on LMS 2.6 upgrade

dlongworth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Got an error when upgrading a customer from LMS 2.5.1 to 2.6. About 30-40% through the upgrade, it halted complaining of an error with the dfmidu during data transfer.

I uninstalled DFM and it failed on a similar error but with CM. Uninstall CM and it fails with RME, and so on.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have joined this conversation as I have managed to now get to this point in my upgrade process.

In my case it comes up with the -105 error for component dfimdu at 53% through the install when it says Installing DFMZ...

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddc64bb

The server I am trying to upgrade now only has CS, DFM, and IPM. It also runs the TelAlert notification system.

Our HP NNM system is on another server.

The servers themselves are HP Intel boxes and do have some server management applications on them. Is this the sort of HP application you were thinking of?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This could be due to a bug in the DFM install process. What HP applications do you have installed on this server?

I have joined this conversation as I have managed to now get to this point in my upgrade process.

In my case it comes up with the -105 error for component dfimdu at 53% through the install when it says Installing DFMZ...

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddc64bb

The server I am trying to upgrade now only has CS, DFM, and IPM. It also runs the TelAlert notification system.

Our HP NNM system is on another server.

The servers themselves are HP Intel boxes and do have some server management applications on them. Is this the sort of HP application you were thinking of?

My upgrade was successful after setting the services to manual. I also stopped HP NNM for the install.

I've installed the full suite inc IPM, with HP NNM (rel B.07.50) on the same server.

Did you have IPM installed on your other servers also?

We even have IIS running (but stopped for the install). We run HTTPS on another port.

IPM is only installed on this particular server. IIS is also not installed.

On the off chance I have stopped the TelALert software but the upgrade still fails.

Does the 'About' screen show version 2.6?

And maybe try setting IPM services to manual? A shot in the dark but maybe worth a try.

There is an OpenView client (and the name escapes me at the moment) that installs NNM-like registry keys. If these keys are present, the DFM portion of the install will fail.

If you have the registry keys:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Network

Try creating a key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Network Node

Manager\CurrentVersion

with a value of 7.0.1.

If those keys do not exist, it could be a service problem. Setting the CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service to manual, then rebooting the server can correct this.

I have managed to install the upgrade.

I set all the IPM services to manual startup as well as the Cisco Daemon Manager and the Cisco tftp, syslog and rsh/rcp services, then rebooted.

I find it interesting that manually stopping the services does not have the same effect as not starting the services in the first place.

Once the upgrade was installed, I changed all the services back to automatic.

Yes, some processes may still be running. We've tried to fix this as much as we can. Under LMS 2.6, I have not yet seen a case where a process does not terminate fully.

As for service startup parameters, make sure you only set those to automatic that were automatic to begin with. If you set other services that should be manual (e.g. Apache, Tomcat, database engines, etc.) then you will run into other problems.