cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Periodical polling in Campus Manager

crazycisco
Level 1
Level 1

In the Campus Manager of LMS, there is a periodical polling in Campus Data Collection. According to the user manual, "Polling is done to see updated devices and link information without running data collection."

My question is: after the polling is done, what will the LMS server do based on the polling results?

Thanks

16 Replies 16

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The LMS server will use this polling to update CM topology services. That is, it will show device status (reachable/unreachable), link status (duplex, speed) and general anything you would see in your topology map.

The polling is less intensive than a full data collection on your network.

This is also what I thought, but it seemed not to work this way. For example, first I shut down the ethernet link on a switch, thus the switch is not reachable from LMS sever any more. I have set the polling interval to 30 minutes. But after one hour or even two hours, (the polling is supposed to run at least once), the color of the switch does not turn into red on the topolgy map. Can you tell me why?

Thanks

Does LMS have another way to get to the switch on the network other than this ethernet that you shut down? Is there any other connection that LMS can reach to do snmp polling?

Hi davistan,

The ethernet link is the only one the switch uses to connect itself to the network. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hi davistan,

The ethernet link is the only one the switch uses to connect itself to the network. Any suggestion?

Thanks

I've seen this once where the IP address that was used to manage a router was that of a loopback, but the display name mentioned that of a fastethernet interface.

Check in campus on the topology map using "Change Management IP" what IP is used to manage the device.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi miheg,

We do not have a display name problem on our devices. Our problem is: when the switch is disconnected and after several times of polling (from campus manager's data collection), the color of that switch does not change to red on the topology map.

Thanks

If the switch remains green Campus can reach "something " via SNMP.

In order to find out what it reaches you need to establish what Campus polls.

All I was saying is that you can have a IP 10.10.10.1 as a display name and poll the device on IP 123.123.123.1.

Cheers,

Michel

Michel,

I am still confused by what you said. On the switch there is only one IP address (10.10.10.1), which is also the management IP and display IP. Which one do you suggest to change?

What I suspect is that the polling never runs. Is there a way I can know the polling has run? I have checked the Job Browser in the Common Services, but no luck.

Thanks

I see if there is only on address then that cannot be wrong.

So you have changed the default polling interval from 2 hours to 30 min?

I'm not sure what process is run to do this polling, it might even be a task of the ANI process.

These processes are kept out of the of job lists as campus is not (yet) that far integrated.

If you change the IP address on the switch it remains green in campus even thought it polls.

That could mean there is another device also responding to that IP address.

Have you tried pinging and polling in the devices center when you turned the switch Off?

Cheers,

Michel

Michel,

I changed polling interval from 2 hours to 30 min and even smaller value for the testing. After I turned off the switch, I pinged it from the device center and it failed. So I guess no other device responds to that IP address.

Is there any log file I can check to see if the polling has run?

Thank you.

how many devices do you have in topology services? If you have a high number you may be causing problems by polling at 30 minute intervals. One polling interval may not complete and may run into the next

We have about 300 devices. I guess 30 minutes are long enough.

I really want to know how I can make sure the polling is done.

Thank you

Looks like it is not polling then.

Does it change color when the select the device in campus topology view and perform a datacollection for that device?

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: