cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PI email when port security has been tripped.

jamescox3
Level 1
Level 1

In the past with other products I have been able to take a syslog message of port security being tripped and turn it in to an email to our helpdesk.

So far I have been able to send the syslog messages from a test switch configured with port security to PI and can see them listed in alerts and events, but can't figure out how to get it to email our helpdesk that a port has been tripped.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 Replies 4

jamescox3
Level 1
Level 1

TAC has informed me that there is no way for PI to take a syslog message or SNMP trap about Port security and turn it into an alert in PI. And that I need to request this feature to be added. It never ceases to amaze me that every time I work in a environment with Ciscoworks LMS or PI that I find missing functionality that other products have out of the box that I end up switching to and abandoning the Cisco monitoring tools.

Yes Unfortunately PI doesn't have a syslog Automated Action feature now. Also, CPI hasn't come along that far way where it can compete or can be compared to LMS.

But our Developers are burning days and nights to add new features with each new release.

As PI aims to become the unified application to manage wired and wireless infrastructure together and it is lacking/lagging far behind in features of LMS, but it has surely come a long way in features and usability when compared to WCS.

It's like glass half filled and half empty for now. But our endeavour is to fill the left half as soon as possible.

-Thanks

Vinod 

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

I'm going to explore EEM as a last ditch effort to try and make this work.

I think that is a viable option. I guess in Security Voilation Mode Actions under restrict and Shutdown a syslog message is generated and even a SNMP Trap.

You can define a ED to continuously track that syslog message to send you an email when the Port goes down.

For more Tips and assistance on EEM you can post a new thread on EEM community here :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/5941/eem-scripting

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: