Views
Helpful
Replies

Pin-pointing the culprit

redrobish
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

Does anyone know how to or what command in 3560 switch to use when you see a high utilization on a specific port to see what's connected to it and tell if what device it is? i.e. ip phone, pc.

Or there's no other way than checking it physically?

tnx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are seeing CDP, then it is unlikely to be a PC. If this is a user port that you are seeing a device with CDP on, it is likely to be a phone.

Is the name of the device known, or is it something like SEP0013C354F8E3? If so it is likely to be a phone.

If you cannot see an IP address, it may mean the device does not have one, o it may not be accessible via this interface/ If you add a sh cp nei det of the device, we can probably help further.

Paul.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

sh mac-a int will show you the mac addresses of devices

sh ip arp | inc will let you convert that to an IP address.

sh cdp nei det will tell you if it is a Cisco device with CDP (eg a phone) on the interface.

Paul.

Is Cisco going to add NetFlow support to the non-modular switches any time soon?

thanks paul.

I doesn't show anything to me. what could that mean?

tnx

sh cdp nei showing nothing on a port means that either there is no Cisco device attached (eg a phone) or it has CDP disabled

sh mac-a showing nothing on a port means the switch is not seeing traffic from valid source mac addresses on that port.

P.

the cdp is enabled as i can see other connected devices but the strange about it, i can see the mac address but cannot see the ip of the host that is connected on that specific port! Could that mean that a pc is not a valid source of a mac address? then why could it indicates alot of input errors?

Pls. enlighten me up, just a newbie in this field!

tnx

If you are seeing CDP, then it is unlikely to be a PC. If this is a user port that you are seeing a device with CDP on, it is likely to be a phone.

Is the name of the device known, or is it something like SEP0013C354F8E3? If so it is likely to be a phone.

If you cannot see an IP address, it may mean the device does not have one, o it may not be accessible via this interface/ If you add a sh cp nei det of the device, we can probably help further.

Paul.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: