Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PINGing fixes browser problem ?!!!

We have many computers that will browse internal websites, but cannot browse the world. Pinging any website by name will fix the problem for all websites. The problem may re-occur if the computer has not been used for a week or two.

Now, I know PING is not suppose to fix anything. But I have seen this work on more than 50 computers!

This started happening after we upgraded our networking equipment.

Our network staff is stumped, and still in disbelief that ping will fix anything even though they've seen it work!

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or where to look?

Details:

Browser IE6

OS Win98,2000,xp

DHCP

Cisco 6509,4507, and 3560 switches

Thanks,

Dan

2 REPLIES

Re: PINGing fixes browser problem ?!!!

Hi,

Tell me how do you connect to the internet. Normally, in case of ISDN you have to start a ping to fire the service.

Secondly, If its a normal leased line or broadband, then i guess u can ask your ISP to check your DNS server for the same.

By the way, What networking equipment you upgraded, and upgraded to what? Though I feel its a mere coincidence of your network updation and this problem occurrence.

Re: PINGing fixes browser problem ?!!!

Thanks for the reply.

We have a fiber connection to our ISP.

There can be several computers adjacent to the afflicted computer, on the same network segment and domain, that will browse

the world just fine. We have tried clearing caches and host files. Even had

new computers experience the problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content