Views
Helpful
Replies

platform preference for LMS3.2: Solaris or Windows

janvandek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a preference for installing LMS3.2 ? Should I take Solaris 10 or Windows. Which platform has the best performances for LMS. Does someone has advice or comments that could simplify my choice ?

Jan

2 Replies 2

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I prefer an "appliance" solution similar to the Cisco Secure ACS and WLSE, regardless of the underlying host OS, where I have all the necessary administrative access to manage the product. It doesn't help one bit that the SW normally runs marginally faster on one platform vs another, if I don't have access to troubleshoot the product when [things] hit the fan. Sorry, for going off on a slight tangent :P

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My experience and observation is that the considerations that drive one to one or the other platforms are usually external to CiscoWorks.

For instance:

- are you more comfortable with Solaris or Windows?

- does your organization require all Windows servers to be part of the corporate domain and have AD GPOs published that may interfere with CiscoWorks' operation and require workarounds or waivers to alleviate?

- does your organization have any other administrative policies that require hardening or limitation of server functions that would compromise the CiscoWorks server functions? This would include frequent application of Windows Update Services, Solaris patching etc.

If none of those concerns are a factor for you, I'd say it doesn't make any difference. Most of the differences are at Layer 8 or 9 (religion and politics ;) ) in my opinion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: