Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Monitoring alerts

sathappan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I Have LMS 2.6, I need to get a detailed alert saying that this interface is down in this particular device in a short period when a cable is removed or the device attached to the particular port is down.

can I achieve this, if so please guide me

thanks in advance

sathappan.s

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have two choices. You can send traps to the LMS 2.6 box which will be processed by DFM into Flapping events, or you can send syslog messages to the LMS 2.6 box which RME will process, and optionally trigger Automated Actions. An Automated Action can do things such as send an email or execute a custom script.

The DFM piece should happen automatically assuming the device is managed by DFM, you have not disabled the DFM trap receiver, and the device is configured to send traps. The syslog reception piece of RME will also happen automatically, but you will have to configure the desired Automated Action on your own. This can be done under RME > Tools > Syslog > Automated Actions.

Hi,

I have tried using the DFM alerts and activites menu, by which say for a example, when a trunk cable is removed from a switch, it shows only informational message like "in the device there is a trunking change". it doesnt show which interface or port it is, only the ip of the device is shown.

thanks

sathappan.s

If you drill into the alert that shows the change, you should see an event that indicates the actual port/interface that went down.

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply. I actually drilled down the alerts and then only posted the last message, when we are selecting the alert id, it opens and gives a window which will have the event id and when we drill down further, the event details listed out as"the trunking configuration change". here in the event id i want to see the interface or port number

thanks

sathappan.s

A trunking change is not an event to DFM. DFM's events are summarized at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm206/ug/events.htm . However, since you're just pulling the cable once, it might be easier and more reliable to use RME to track this. Unless you have enabled the drop filter on link syslog messages, you should already be receiving these. You can use the RME syslog standard report, or build a custom report to see these messages. And as I said previously, you can also configure an Automated Action to turn these messages into other notifications.