cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ports in error disabled state -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

How can I find ports that are in an error disabled state?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Get,

If you have CATOS run this command

"sh port status"

If you have IOS switch run this command

"sh interface status"

It will show you the status of all the interfaces on the switch if they are in connect ,not connect state or errdisable state if there are any.

Also the severity level for errdisable is 5 which is notifications so you will not see this error message if you set the logging level to less than 5.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Better check in syslog for the error messages containing errdis.

Cheers

Michel

What I was hoping to do is to be able to find any ports that went to an error disabled state before logging was configured.

Once I get all of the devices configured to log their messages to a syslog server, I can catch them there. I hope this message isn't logged at the informational or notification severity level because I'm only logging 4,3,2,1 and 0.

What is the logged messaage exactly?

Hi Get,

If you have CATOS run this command

"sh port status"

If you have IOS switch run this command

"sh interface status"

It will show you the status of all the interfaces on the switch if they are in connect ,not connect state or errdisable state if there are any.

Also the severity level for errdisable is 5 which is notifications so you will not see this error message if you set the logging level to less than 5.

HTH

Ankur

I was afraid of this. I would've thought a port going to an error disabled state would be of a higher severity level than a notification!!!!!

It's an easy job with ciscoworks to configure syslog on every machine. Do that first.

%PM-SP-4-ERR_DISABLE:

I think there are more than one type of messages.

I guess ERR_DISABLE should match most

It's not that easy when there are close to 12,000 devices.

Well that what ciscoworks netconfig is for...

The job will take some time and you must specify to run execution of the job in parallel, check there is noting cpu intensitive running at the same time.

But making the job is dead easy.

That's what I'm working on...using Netconfig to configure the devices to log their messages to a syslog server.

With so many devices, so many different models spread across 3 RME servers, it takes awhile. Sure, jobs could be setup against all 12,000 devices and probably complete in a day but request have to be created, have to go through change approval processes and such. Devices in any of the data centers have to go through an extra approval process and can only be done at certain times. I'm getting there though. I just hope I'm not screwing up by only sending warnings or severity levels 4 and down to the server.

Here's what I was able to do:

From RME > Configuration Mgmt > Network Show Commands > Batch Reports >, I was able to define a report for show port status, Schedule the Report and run the report.

This of course to find ports that went disabled before I got syslog setup and working on all devices.