Views
Helpful
Replies

Preparing lms-4.1-Sol-eval.zip DVD

STEFFEN NEUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

On monday I will have my 1st solaris lms installation for many years ago. Because the delivery of the media pack postponed, I need to install from the downloaded lms-4.1-Sol-eval.zip. Im trying to prepare an install-DVD under windows from this image. 7zip complains while extracting about cross overwriting of several equal named files. So I leave this method and burn the image as it is to DVD as ISO9660 Joliet. I hope this problem is filesystem specific.

So I want to ask:

1. contains Solaris 10 an unzip, if not will the unzip v6.0 from http://sunfreeware.com will work?

2. If automounting at Sol10 is not in-the-box, How can you mount an USB disk in Solaris10 CLI in case the DVD will not work?

many thx for your hints, Steffen

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Recently installed on a solaris10 VM. I was tolled the solaris a default install + patching.

I found the SMTP service was not active and SYSLOG needed additional configuration. The sysadmin turned SMTP on later.

I was able to put the files I had on there with putty's pscp and I could unzip them using the 'unzip' command.

Make sure you can do su or sudo to install. No point in trying if you can't.

Oh yeah, for some reason the installer fails if you try to install from /var/tmp, so don't.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

solaris 10 has has zip and unzip bulit in. Just copy the eval to the disk and issue an unzip

as always with solaris, it is good to have the lates patch cluster installed;

also I found a note for a patch concerning the "unzip" command:

https://blogs.oracle.com/patch/entry/need_unzip_fix_available_in

but I am not sure if only patch cluster files do have the problem.

I highly doubt a download to a windows machine, unzip it with windows tools, burn it on DVD and use this as an installation media on solaris. I would not unzip the eval and burn it on DVD, instead, I would burn the lms-4-1-Sol-eval.zip on DVD (or copy it on a USB storage), use this to transfer the file to the server into a new directory other then /var/tmp as Michel pointed out (pscp, ftp, sftp or just insert the DVD in to the drive and copy it to the harddisk :-) ). After the file transfer, again check the MD5 hash. Unzip it and start the installation (as root!).

Usually solaris should be able to automount your USB device, if not try the steps mentioned here:

http://it.toolbox.com/wiki/index.php/Mount_a_USB_key_under_Solaris

on solaris and the appliance the installation log is written to

/var/tmp/Cisco_Prime_install_YYYYMMDD_hhmmss.log

this is a description on how to stop the snmp service and also how to disable it in solaris 10:

http://www.gilandre.net/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/SolarisDisableSNMP

thanks, for providing the command for syslogd!

you should use /usr/ucb/ps instead of just ps -ef which is /usr/sbin/ps. But you have to execute /usr/ucb/ps -gauxwww as root to get the complete command line for a process; i.e, as root type type the complete path

/usr/ucb/ps -gauxwww | grep -i psu

thats correct with the Activity Log and I also would never start a second psu job before the log entry appears.

19 Replies 19

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Recently installed on a solaris10 VM. I was tolled the solaris a default install + patching.

I found the SMTP service was not active and SYSLOG needed additional configuration. The sysadmin turned SMTP on later.

I was able to put the files I had on there with putty's pscp and I could unzip them using the 'unzip' command.

Make sure you can do su or sudo to install. No point in trying if you can't.

Oh yeah, for some reason the installer fails if you try to install from /var/tmp, so don't.

Cheers,

Michel

solaris 10 has has zip and unzip bulit in. Just copy the eval to the disk and issue an unzip

as always with solaris, it is good to have the lates patch cluster installed;

also I found a note for a patch concerning the "unzip" command:

https://blogs.oracle.com/patch/entry/need_unzip_fix_available_in

but I am not sure if only patch cluster files do have the problem.

I highly doubt a download to a windows machine, unzip it with windows tools, burn it on DVD and use this as an installation media on solaris. I would not unzip the eval and burn it on DVD, instead, I would burn the lms-4-1-Sol-eval.zip on DVD (or copy it on a USB storage), use this to transfer the file to the server into a new directory other then /var/tmp as Michel pointed out (pscp, ftp, sftp or just insert the DVD in to the drive and copy it to the harddisk :-) ). After the file transfer, again check the MD5 hash. Unzip it and start the installation (as root!).

Usually solaris should be able to automount your USB device, if not try the steps mentioned here:

http://it.toolbox.com/wiki/index.php/Mount_a_USB_key_under_Solaris

OK, from this point zip/unzig everithing is OK. But I've got into anothr trouble:

The install routine complains about swap (because of 56Bytes less than recommended) and I need a working procedure to can increase the swap space.

setup.sh has calculated a need of 33480724

# swap -l

swapfile             dev  swaplo blocks   free

/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 256,2      16 33480688 33480688

# mkfile 8G /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap2

# swap -a /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap2

/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap2: Invalid operation for this filesystem type

# df -h

Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on

rpool/ROOT/s10s_u8wos_08a

134G    14G    92G    13%    /

/devices                 0K     0K     0K     0%    /devices

ctfs                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/contract

proc                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /proc

mnttab                   0K     0K     0K     0%    /etc/mnttab

swap                    17G   424K    17G     1%    /etc/svc/volatile

objfs                    0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/object

sharefs                  0K     0K     0K     0%    /etc/dfs/sharetab

fd                       0K     0K     0K     0%    /dev/fd

swap                    17G    64K    17G     1%    /tmp

swap                    17G    40K    17G     1%    /var/run

Why does df shows 17GB of swap that should be more than enough?

thx for hints, Steffen

have a look at this site which seems to have a good explanation of the steps when using zfs:

http://serverfault.com/questions/17142/how-to-add-swap-to-zfs-disk

I forgot to add this link also which also points out other methods:

http://initialprogramload.blogspot.com/2011/02/adding-zfs-zvol-for-extra-swap-space.html

thx Martin, its installing now

zfs set volsize=32G rpool/swap

reboot

Two questions yet:

Where do LMS/Sol will place the install.log?

What command disables the system trapd (because installation complains about occopied udp162) permanetly?

Thx, Steffen

on solaris and the appliance the installation log is written to

/var/tmp/Cisco_Prime_install_YYYYMMDD_hhmmss.log

this is a description on how to stop the snmp service and also how to disable it in solaris 10:

http://www.gilandre.net/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi/SolarisDisableSNMP

this LMS server is monitored by a different spectrum NMS, so we need to keep SNMP(161) activated, only trapd(162) must be disabled. Is there a different procedure?

I checked also the real behaviour: SNMP-Poll-agent(161) is there but no SNMP-trapd(162). Does it mean the occopied UDP162 was a wrong error message?

# ls /etc/init.d/*snmp*

/etc/init.d/init.snmpdx

# netstat -a | grep 162

*.16236                             Idle

*.162                               Idle

localhost.33162      localhost.cscoess    49152      0 49152      0 ESTABLISHED

localhost.cscoess    localhost.33162      49152      0 49152      0 ESTABLISHED

# netstat -a | grep 9000

#

another problem with device update:

Locking the package repository...

Released the Lock...

Installation failed for product [Common Services] with message com.cisco.nm.xms.                                                                              psu.packagemgmt.InstallerException: Repository in use. Another Package Support U                                                                              pdater client session may be modifying device support. Locking the package repository...
Released the Lock...
Installation failed for product [Common Services] with message com.cisco.nm.xms.                                                                              psu.packagemgmt.InstallerException: Repository in use. Another Package Support U                                                                              pdater client session may be modifying device support.

Where is the PSU lock-file in solaris is located? delete and repeat?

solaris can use a special implementation of snmp with a master daemon and registered sub-agenst which is explained here:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27002148&aid=1

or Net-Snmp as a standalone agent

you should have a look a the man page of snmptrapd on how to change the port. I do not have a system to check to give you any more hint, - sorry.

for the psu isssue, check with

/usr/ucb/ps -auxwww | grep -i psu

if there is still a process running; if yes let it finish, do not kill this process. When it has finished, check if the

/opt/CSCOpx/Psu.Lock

has disappeared. If yes use

/opt/CSCOpx/bin/PSUCli.sh

to do the updates; If not, again check if there is a running psu process, if not you can remove the file.

The error typically comes from the Web-Gui while clickin 2 times the OK (or finish) button...

The psu left seams to be from the GUI frist time use for device package update and was crashed after typing the path for the packages and clicking next. I repeated 1st from GUI than from CLI. Than I was searching for the Psu.Lock and after having no idea I rebooted the LMS server maybe 20min from the PSU-GUI crash. Will see tommorow and try your hints.

Do you know Perfromance tuning hints for solaris LMS? Its slower than every windows LMS implementions I previously did.

I found the Web-GUI for doing device package updates or SW download very bad in case of reporting the current status of the workflow .

I assume it is the "Finish" button at the end of the workflow. When you click it, it takes a while before a pop-up opens saying that services must be restarted, - here you have to click "OK" and after that, the last page re-appears, still with the "Finish" button enabled and the focus is also set to that button - that's the point where people want to click again "Finish" to start a second process.....

If you are doing CiscoView dev package updates it is not unusual that the workflow takes up to 20 mins.

beside the fact, that the PSUCli tool clearly reports what it is doing, I ve got the feeling that it is much quicker.

I do not know of general steps for performance tuning but there is still the rmeptt (RME performance tuning tool) which can adjust severl parameters for RME tasks:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.1/user/guide/configuration/cwcli.html#wp1287118

Performance depends on CPU and RAM, name resolution and other sw running on the system - in virtualized environments the assignment of the resources has influence on the perfomance (static/dynamic assignments) and also I/O can have impact.

on solaris and Linux use

pdshow -stat

to get performance/resource info on every LMS process

I agree with you, that GUI is not good for psu and I know also this things with doubleklick of next and you dont know if the next window you expect doesnt appear because you didnt hit the next button correctly or popup blocker, phishing filter and all other kind of this new browser add-on staff had blocked the window. But in our case the GUI crashed completly after klicking next 1st time - murphies law.

I prefere the commandline as well for psu, but if the customers prefere the GUI, than I have to show this is working from GUI.

I heared something about the RME performance tuning tool, but the GUI is slow just after the pure installation without having only one device in the inventory.

Michael told something about of need to adjust the Solaris10 syslogd, Is this true? I didnt found any about in the docomentation.

for the GUI to be slow, it also can be AV software on the client side scanning the web browser traffic. If there is AV software enabled on the client side I would try and disabled it for a test; The other things are mainly hardware performance on the server side.

Usually the installation changes the settings for syslog automatically - If you do not have issues then there is nothing to change.