cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 2.0 configuration management

revolwireless
Level 1
Level 1

Does PI 2.0 archive configs daily or do I need to schedule it?

How can I see config changes if someone changes the config on a  device? Will PI alert that a change was made and what was changed by whom?

9 Replies 9

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configuration archive collection needs to be scheduled.

In Lifecycle mode, go to Device Work Center, Configuration Archives, select the desired devices and then click the Schedule Archive button and make it a recurring job.

The configuration archives page has a feature to let you compare current vs. previous configurations and it highlights the differences. Seeing who made the change isn't shown there. That is captured in the device syslog but unfortunately the PI 2.0 syslog function isn't quite full-featured just yet.

revolwireless
Level 1
Level 1

So there's no way for it to alert via email for example, that a change has been made and by whom? Solarwinds NCM has this function was hoping PI would have it also.

Not directly - yet. It can be done with LMS but not PI.

You might be able to create a hack to do it by elevating the syslog message that's created when configuration is changed to be a critical level message and then having PI e-mail you critical messages.

I don't believe that's possible with switches, maybe with ASA's

I could of swore one of the webinars i watched on PI mentioned that we would be able to see config changes

Yianni Thallas wrote:

I don't believe that's possible with switches, maybe with ASA's

I could of swore one of the webinars i watched on PI mentioned that we would be able to see config changes

I don't see it used very often, but you can escalate syslog messages in IOS using Embedded Syslog Manager (ESM). See the configuration guide example here.

I recall getting the same impression as you. The webinar series that Eric and Tomar did on PI 2.0 was done with pre-release PI 2.0 software. It could be that feature didn't make the cut for FCS release of 2.0. Another thing to watch for in 2.1.

Thank you I'll look into it and decide if i want to implement it, I do have AAA accounting set up on an ACS that that i could probably set thresholds and emails for config changes

You're welcome.

They did say the feature was available - see around 5:00 mark onwards in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usFF5fBj_G4

That's the one I was referring to

I configured a archive job and what I noticed is that it only archived a few devices out of hundreds. the job says under archive ALREADY EXISTS.

Shouldn't still back it up?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco