Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 2.0 Link Status Alarms

timo.voelker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are used SNMP traps sent from our core switches to our PI 1.3 server to notify us about link down events. In this scenario we got emails only for link down events on our core switches.

Now, we are using PI 2.0. It seems PI 2.0 checks link status of all devices on its own. We got an email for a link down event on any of our switches. To avoid that I configured PI 2.0 to treat Link down events as Informational instead of Critical (Administration > System Settings > Severity Configuration, Link down). Now, we don't get email notification for link down events at all.

Is there a way to configure PI 2.0 to inform us on link down events on our core switches, but not on a link down event on any of our other devices?

Timo

11 Replies 11

Disable the trap from the configuration on the switches you don't want to get messages from.  So depending on what kind of switch it would be something like:

conf t

no snmp-server enable traps linkdown linkup

Your string may different, there are several options that can be included in this line.  You may have to remove the whole line and readd it with only the options you want.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

Hi Christopher,

thanks for your quick reply. SNMP traps are disabled on all devices but on our core switches. We never enabled it on any other device.

I checked that for a couple of devices again. There is no "snmp-server enable traps" or "snmp-server host" command in the running config.

Timo

Hi Timo,

Did you configure the syslog?

My PI 1.3 detects and sends alarm email about link up-down event by syslog.

For any SWs that you don't want to alarm link up-down, you could disable syslog.

However, I also don't know how to alarm about link up-down status of UP-LINK INTERFACE ONLY, not all interface.

In addition, If i use SNMP trap, the information displayed on PI is meaningless, such as "port {0} is down on device {1}"

How do you work with it?

Best Regards

Hi Cuong,

The message "port {0} is down on device {1}" is a bug of PI 1.3. It seems to be solved in PI 2.0. At least I did not see this message since we updated to 2.0.

We did not configure the switches to send syslog messages to Prime. So, this could not be the problem. For me it seems that PI 2.0 polls the switches, checks that some links are down and then generates an alarm. I don't think our switches send link status information by its own.

Timo

Dear Timo,

Thank for your information.

If so, it is different to PI 1.3, and the NW Operator will be overloaded with alarms.

By the way, please continues update information about PI 2.0 for everybody.

Please help me check 01 more thing, could your PI 2.0 display Switch's temperature.

My PI 1.3 cannot display this information even it is basic monitoring element.

Thanks & Best Regards

Hi Cuong,

our PI 1.3 could display temperature of about 50 % of our devices. I would bet it depends on the hardware. For example PI 1.3 could display temperature of all our 4506-E devices.

PI 2.0 can display the temperature of all our devices.

We just have to accept, that PI 1.x is a beta version. I would consider PI 2.0 as RC, since there are still some issues. Just to give another example, PI 2.0 cannot determine the device type of a VSS of two 4506 switches.

Timo

timo.voelker
Level 1
Level 1

I found a solution that works for me.

1. I let PI treat Link Down Events as Minor Events.
  2. I created a new Virtual Domain and assigned all our Core Switches to this Domain.
  3. For this new Domain, I configured PI to send E-Mails on Minor and Major Events (Operate > Alarms & Events, Button E-Mail Notification).

I did not check the box for Critical Events, because I already get E-Mails for Critical Events from our ROOT-DOMAIN.

Hi Timo,

Thanks for your idea and kindly sharing to us.

I will test it on my PI 1.3

Best Regards

Hi Timo,

I try to create Virtual Domain but all new virtual domain is under ROOT-DOMAIN.

How to switchover between Virtua domains? I cannot go to other virtual domains after creating?

Thanks

Hi,

Did you get answer to this.If not. You ghve to assign domains to User first then it will appear there to switch. Evene if your user is root you still have to assign the Virtual Domains.

Regards

Aijaz

Please rate helpful answers

Hi Timo,

I am using prime 3.1. I am able to create the sub-virtual domain, but i am unable to configure the email notification for that domain. It shows a empty page for that. Could you let me know how you did that ?

Regards,

Ragavan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: