Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure 2.1 - Fetch VLAN Configuration - command failed

adir.nosrat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i am installing the system on a customer's site.

i've noticed that most of the devices configured on the PI have resulted in error in the Configuration Archive with this error:

Fetch VLAN Configuration - command failed.

i checked that the tftp service on the PI is enabled.

i tried manually executing from a device: copy flash:vlan.dat tftp://PI_IP and couldnt manage to do so.

i also tried manually to do it to another tftp server and it worked.

i dont see any FW drops.

does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this?

thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As to get the VLAN information, the file in Cisco devices Flash : Vlan.dat is fetced, and if PI fails to do so, it gives this error. As it is a file in flash, PI needs to send it over to Server itself using TFTP.

If TFPT is somehow not working between Server and devices, it may throw this error.

Is it happening with all the devices or some perticular platform?

If with all the device, you need to check if there is any Firewall blocking TFTP access to devices.

Also, you can check if TFTP service on CPI is working properly by command ncs status.

If service is affected, try to restart service - service tftp restart Or you can restart the PI Machine itself.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

it doesnt happen on all of them, it happens on 108/150 of the devices. the rest of the devices seems to be only layer 3 devices (routers, fw's).

the tftp status seems to be alright:

Pais-CiscoPrime-01/admin# ncs status
Health Monitor Server is running.
Ftp Server is running
Database server is running
Tftp Server is running
Matlab Server is running
NMS Server is running.
Plug and Play Gateway is running.
SAM Daemon is running ...
DA Daemon is running ...
Syslog Daemon is running ...
Pais-CiscoPrime-01/admin#

i cant use the command - service tftp restart, there's no such command.

any other idea?

thanks!

It is only expected to happen only for Switches. As vlan.dat is only on switches.

Did you checked if there is any FW restrictions between devices and CPI? Can you manually try to run the command copy flash:vlan.dat <any TFTP Server | Or CPI IP> and see if that works.

A packet capture may be helpful to see if tftp is successful.

-Thanks

Vinod

i checked the FW option and it doesnt seem like there is any kind of drop.

and as i said in my first post, i tried opening 3cdeamon on my pc and tried executing copy flash from the device and it worked, but when i tried manually to the CPI it didn't work.

i tried exploring the log files and i've seen some errors in the remotingTftp-0-0.log file, i attched it of here.

It seems to be vrey close to this issue # CSCud90974.

The workaround Reverted the interface type to E1000. The change to VmxNet3 was causing issues with UDP.

To change the network adapter on a virtual machine , please see the following Link :

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2019944

Please check and let me know if that fixes our issue.

-Thanks

Vinod

i checked the interface type and it's already configured as E1000.

anything else?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: