cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems getting Prime LMS to start up

ronald.nutter
Level 1
Level 1

Just got the Cisco Prime Lan NMS software. Getting this error when I try to turn up the appliance after I deployed it in ESXi -

Power On virtual machine:Failed to power on VM.

See the error stack for details on the cause of this problem.
Time: 7/16/2013 9:32:26 AM
Target: Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution
ESXi: ucs-c1b4
Error Stack
Failed to power on VM.
Could not power on VM : CPU min outside valid range.
Group host/user: Invalid CPU allocation requested for VM vmm0:Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution. (min: 4520 mhz, max: -1, minLimit: -1, shares: -3)
SharedArea: Unable to find 'testSharedAreaPtr' in SHARED_PER_VM_VMX area.

This is being deployed on a Cisco UCS B200 M3 with 128GB of ram. There is nothing else deployed on this blade. I elected for thin provisioning on disk storage.

Wouldnt expect that I would have to tweak the install any.

Suggestions ?

13 Replies 13

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've not had to tweak any of the installations I've done.

Are you running ESXi 5.0? Deploying the ova?

Using ESXi 5.1 custom iso as required for use on the UCS B chassis.

Yes to deploying the OVA file.

5.1 is not supported - only 4.1 and 5.0 (reference). That's most likely the root cause.

I didn't have any specific information for Prime LMS OVA but even though some folks have reported success with Prime Infrastructure 1.3 on 5.1, the product managers told me at Cisco Live that 5.1 would not be supported until PI 2.0. If they ever release an LMS 4.3 (TBD), it might have ESX 5.1 support.

That surprises me.  Got ACS 5.4 to run under 5.1 with no problems.  Will see about downgrading one blade to 5.0 and see how that works.  I hope that my 5.1 licenses will work under 5.0.

Ron

Hey Ronald!

Can you just get the Windows version of LMS and install that on a vm in ESXi?

Hello Tim !

Trying to avoid burning a MS Server license.  ACS 5.4 installed with no problem. Kinda surprised at the problems I am having with LMS.

The disk requirements of LMS are healthy enough that I was trying to avoid the bloat/additional disk space that MS would take.  Just to make things fun, I am having to use the disks on the UCS blades since we couldnt get funding for a SAN this year.

Ron

Just finishing downgrading one of the Blades from 5.1 to 5.0.  Deployed the OVA and got this error -

Failed to power on VM.
Could not power on VM : CPU min outside valid range.
Group host/user: Invalid CPU allocation requested for VM vmm0:Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution. (min: 4520 mhz, max: -1, minLimit: -1, shares: -3)

Unless you have a suggestion, I guess I can call TAC.  Since this is a NFR version, wasnt sure what kind of support I would get, if any.

Hmm.

You won't get TAC support on the NFR license.

Are you perhaps using a server profile on your UCS blade? I'm not very UCS-savvy but I could possibly see that overriding the built-in OVA guest parameters and giving you that error.

I just got off the phone with a Cisco TAC NMS team member from RTP.  He said LMS does work with ESXi 5.1.  I'm waiting for the download and will report back if successful.

I've got LMS 4.2 installed on ESXi 5.1 via ova deployment.  It works but I'm currently working on upgrading it to 4.3 which is not going smoothly.

My ESXi 5.1 is not on UCS hardware.

Ronald, If you don't have a SAN how are you going to do vMotion, svMotion, HA, and FT.  Well... you could create a vm on your local drives and install an iscsi OS on it like openfiler, omnios, etc.   I tried that and yes the iscsi target can be seen but vmotion and svmotion was molasses slow. 

pdandapa
Level 1
Level 1

Ronald,

Virtual machine does not power on when there is high CPU reservation.

Please refer the below one.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/170430?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks,

Prathima.

I havent made any CPU reservations.  This is a stock UCS config.  I have setup the config based on what I learned to do when attending the DCUCI class.

Can you power up any other vm?  Try installing centos 6 ( no licensing required and it's a pretty quick install ).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: