Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems Netflow On Catalyst 6509

mercierd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a trainee and I must to implement Netflow and NDE on two catalyst 6509 switches.

We would like to have informations about traffic on each GigaInterface. But the interfaces don't have Ip addresses, there is only VLAN interfaces. So I can enable Netflow only on the VLAN Interfaces.

I think the command "ip flow ingress layer2-switched " enable netflow on physical Interface. But I doesn't have any information :(

Can you help me please.

Regards

ps: You can find in attachment my configuration.

2 Replies 2

Ryan Carretta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here's the netflow config guide for SXH:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/netflow.html#wp1157805

You are correct about the command, but you would enable it on the vlan interface, not the physical interface. Note that when using NDE the exported data will be about the flows, not about the physical interface.

Netflow is only supported on layer-3 interfaces, so I don't think you're going to be able to use that to get flow data on each physical interface is the interfaces are exclusively L2.

Thank you rcarrett for your reply.

So you said me, it's impossible for me to have information (==flows) about physical interfaces ?

We have a software (Netflow tracker) with which we can have information about flows on the interfaces (see in attachment). And as you can see, there is few information about flows on the VLANs. In don't understand because this switch is very important.

Regards