Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems restoring LMS 2.5

I'm moving Ciscoworks (LMS 2.5 on windows) to a dedicated server. Running into problems however restoring the existing database to the new server.

A perl script is shipped with Ciscoworks to accomplish the restore. Running this:

"perl restorebackup.pl -gen 35 -d c:\temp\restore\cw_backup"

results in the following output:

--------------------

ERROR in extracting single file

ERROR in executing the tar-command [-1]

Restore failed

----------------

Extract from the restorebackup.log file.

------------------------------------

[Tue Nov 28 16:09:20 2006] [ tar xvf filebackup.tar -T filebackup.current -O >temp\OGRA~1/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/servlet/cwpass ]

The system cannot find the path specified.

ERROR: In executing tar xvf filebackup.tar -T filebackup.current -O >temp\OGRA~1/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/servlet/cwpass

[Tue Nov 28 16:09:20 2006] ERROR: In executing tar xvf filebackup.tar -T filebackup.current -O >temp\OGRA~1/CSCOpx/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cmf/servlet/cwpass

[Tue Nov 28 16:09:20 2006] ERROR: Error in extracting single file.

Any suggestions as to how to resolve this would be warmly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Under which version of LMS was the backup taken? I've only ever seen this error when the backup was taken on an LMS 2.1 or 2.2 server.

Thanks for your reply.

The backup was also taken under LMS 2.5.

No updates have been applied to either machines - LMS 2.5 installed straight out of the box.

When restoring to the new machine it makes all the right noises to start with, then errors.

What is different between the two LMS installations?

The new server has a different IP address. Other than that, we're simply backing up a database from one existing LMS 2.5 server for restoration onto a new freshly installed LMS 2.5 server.

I believe this is related to CSCsa76999. The way you can verify this is to look at the filebackup.list file after the restore starts (this file will be in the temporary restore location). There should be a line in this file that contains cwpass. The restore script is expecting this line to being with a driver letter (e.g. C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\...). However, your backup does not have this driver letter. Yours must look like \PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\... This causes a problem as the restore will strip off the first three characters (i.e. "\PR").

Unfortunately, the solution is to upgrade to at least LMS 2.5.1 on both servers, take a new backup on the original server, then restore it to the new server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: