Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

promoted to network admin - now what?

our network admin left the company out of the blue so i got bumped up to his spot b/c i have some experience with routing and swithching and installing voip phones but it was always under his supervision. i was working the help desk before this happened. so my question is what should i be doing to become a good network admin? i am focusing on our voip phone system now - but i feel like i should be doing more.

thanks.

1 REPLY

Re: promoted to network admin - now what?

Maybe this post would fit better under "Getting started with LANs" but OK. First of all: congratulations!

I hope that your predecessor has left everything in more or less working order. It would also be nice if you had the passwords for all devices to be able to do some adminstration. Maybe that's something to check and, depending on your company's security standards change so that the previous admin will not have access anymore.

For the rest; if all is working without too much problems you have time to dive into the network and become aquainted with it. Make a backup of all system configurations.

Also, when a new manager is installed, the company is often willing to grant his proposals for changes. So if there is something that is not as you would like it, then request to have it changed now. The boss will not always be in such a generous mood!

You have already found the way to this forum so there is no need to tell you that;-) We might be seeing you around quite a bit in the coming months.

Regards,

Leo

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content