cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding RME 3.5 and the RSAC software -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

We have 3 RME servers at one location and 3 syslog servers located in 3 other states.

These syslog servers are running the standard Solaris 2.9 syslogd. These servers also have the RSAC software installed where each communicate with it's respective RME server.

If RME is to not process certain messages or basically throw them in the bit bucket, do the messages I have selected to filter out come across the WAN link or does the RSAC software do the processing of what messages to throw in the bit bucket itself and not pass them across the network to be processed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RSAC will throw out messages without passing them to RME. RME will sync the filters down to the RSAC servers when they register. Of course, RSAC 3.5 is not supported on Solaris 9, so you will not be able to get TAC support for those servers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RSAC will throw out messages without passing them to RME. RME will sync the filters down to the RSAC servers when they register. Of course, RSAC 3.5 is not supported on Solaris 9, so you will not be able to get TAC support for those servers.

Thank you.

That's what I've thought all along but wasn't 100% sure and would hate it for the customer to research the issue and prove me wrong.

The customer installed the RSAC software on new Sun boxes they put in place about 1.5 years ago and it's worked actually quiet well since but thank you for letting me know it's not supported.

We will eventually be going to a system where the syslog messages will be propogated up to the NMS station but we're not there yet. I realize all that has to really be done is load and compile the CISCO-SYSLOG-MIB on the NMS station to be able to interpret the traps but our Unix group seems to think it will put too much of a load on the NerveCenter boxes in place at the moment. We could also take the approach of installing a Netcool syslog probe on the customers servers so the messages could be filtered at the the syslog server like RSAC does it and then send them straight to Netcool Omnibus bypassing NerveCenter but that would take a sign off from George Bush most likely so we're just sticking w/ this for now until some decisions can be made by the mgmt team.

Thanks again...Rob