Views
Helpful
Replies

Realtime Port Utilization

stlieser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for a tool which can monitor the input and output rate of a router interface nearly in realtime. The problem I see with tools like MRTG is that it records only the 5 minute average input and output rate. You can't see the actual utilization or any load peaks. Are there any tools which provide the actual load and not the 5 min average?

Thanks

Marcus

5 Replies 5

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

RRDTool can graph at 1-min interval. That's the smallest interval of any graphing tool with historical data retention that I'm aware of. On the other hand, HP OpenView NNM has an xnmgraph tool that graphs real-time, but data archiving is a pain and each graph has to be kept running.

Check out Solarwinds NPM

Is this value in the graph the actual input/output rate or the 5-minute average of the interface? With the "sh interface"-command on the router you can only see this 5-minute average, so I think you can only query this average value too?! The problem with this average rate is that you can't see any short-time peaks, because they are lost in the average rate.

Thanks for your reply!

It is possible to influence output presented in sh int with load-interval interface config mode command. However, NMS usualy use ifInOctets/ifOutOctets variables to calculate bandwidth utilization. These values are absolute and depend on sampling frequency, not on load-interval configured.

Thank you very much!