cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended Hardware platform to support LMS 3.0 and 25,000 nodes -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

I'm trying to find the recommended hardware specifications for servers running LMS 3.0 (RME and Campus Mgr only) to support a network of 25,000 nodes.

I would also like to wrap a dollar figure around the software as I believe Cisco has a new licensing structure in place(RME and Campus

only).

Recommendations and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will have to talk to your sales team for a dollar figure on LMS 3.0. Based on the number of devices you want to manage, you're looking at at least three licenses. I do not believe the SKUs have been worked out, but we are offering more than just restricted and unrestricted licenses in 3.0, so your configuration may be covered in one multi-server license.

For this configuration, I would recommend that each server be at least a dual processor box with 8 GB of RAM. Since you mentioned Solaris, and since Solaris is now free, go with 10 if you can (as 9 will be phased out before 10), and go with the UltraSPARC IV+ server line.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

I've learned through this forum that older versions of Solaris will be phased out in 3.0 so I beleive Solaris 10 will be the OS of choice.

Solaris 9 and 10 will be supported in LMS 3.0.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will have to talk to your sales team for a dollar figure on LMS 3.0. Based on the number of devices you want to manage, you're looking at at least three licenses. I do not believe the SKUs have been worked out, but we are offering more than just restricted and unrestricted licenses in 3.0, so your configuration may be covered in one multi-server license.

For this configuration, I would recommend that each server be at least a dual processor box with 8 GB of RAM. Since you mentioned Solaris, and since Solaris is now free, go with 10 if you can (as 9 will be phased out before 10), and go with the UltraSPARC IV+ server line.

I'm gonna shoot for V490s w/ 4-1.5GHZ cpus and 8GB of ram each for the hardware. If that's takes us over budget, I will back down to dual 1.8 GHZ cpus and still keep 8 GB of ram each.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Cisco sales but this information will certainly be helpful.

Thank you so much

Oh yea... and solaris 10 for sure!