Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Recommended Hardware platform to support LMS 3.0 and 25,000 nodes -

I'm trying to find the recommended hardware specifications for servers running LMS 3.0 (RME and Campus Mgr only) to support a network of 25,000 nodes.

I would also like to wrap a dollar figure around the software as I believe Cisco has a new licensing structure in place(RME and Campus

only).

Recommendations and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Recommended Hardware platform to support LMS 3.0 and 25,000

You will have to talk to your sales team for a dollar figure on LMS 3.0. Based on the number of devices you want to manage, you're looking at at least three licenses. I do not believe the SKUs have been worked out, but we are offering more than just restricted and unrestricted licenses in 3.0, so your configuration may be covered in one multi-server license.

For this configuration, I would recommend that each server be at least a dual processor box with 8 GB of RAM. Since you mentioned Solaris, and since Solaris is now free, go with 10 if you can (as 9 will be phased out before 10), and go with the UltraSPARC IV+ server line.

5 REPLIES

I've learned through this forum that older versions of Solaris will be phased out in 3.0 so I beleive Solaris 10 will be the OS of choice.

Cisco Employee

Solaris 9 and 10 will be supported in LMS 3.0.

Cisco Employee

You will have to talk to your sales team for a dollar figure on LMS 3.0. Based on the number of devices you want to manage, you're looking at at least three licenses. I do not believe the SKUs have been worked out, but we are offering more than just restricted and unrestricted licenses in 3.0, so your configuration may be covered in one multi-server license.

For this configuration, I would recommend that each server be at least a dual processor box with 8 GB of RAM. Since you mentioned Solaris, and since Solaris is now free, go with 10 if you can (as 9 will be phased out before 10), and go with the UltraSPARC IV+ server line.

I'm gonna shoot for V490s w/ 4-1.5GHZ cpus and 8GB of ram each for the hardware. If that's takes us over budget, I will back down to dual 1.8 GHZ cpus and still keep 8 GB of ram each.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Cisco sales but this information will certainly be helpful.

Thank you so much

Oh yea... and solaris 10 for sure!

Views
Helpful
Replies