Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Recommended size for syslog.log

Hey,

Could you guess-timate a good size for syslog.log on LMS 4.0.

I have 400 devices on my network.

My syslog.log file is over 1 gig. I have only had the server running for 6 months.

Not sure if 50 Megs is too small.

Is there some tool that could view my current syslog file as a text file & it would say that "X" megabytes of syslog data has been collected on the average day for the past 30 days.

Basically,, I'd like to trim syslog.log with LogRot,, but keep a 30 day fresh supply of syslog info.

I really think that syslog.log needs a haircut.

Please reply

-Tom Gilmore

1 REPLY
Blue

Re: Recommended size for syslog.log

Really? 1GB for 400 devices over 6 months seems like nothing. IMO, 50MB per is too small, but it's mostly a subjective choice. In case someone ever forgets to turn off debug logging on a device, I've seen syslog grow at a +10GB every 30 mins pace, at which point all that keeping N-day of logs stuff went right out of the window, because the dedicated file system was limited in size. Since I keep hearing "storage is cheap", I suppose the best case is to give it plenty of storage for sudden growth bursts, and pick a log file size you'd be comfortable manipulating with, whether in the UI or on the CLI.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content