cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant ISP/DNS connection

wrwiii122
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ISP connections from two different ISPs. The problem I have is with email and other services using DNS. Does anyone know of a way to forward to a backup ISP if the primary is down. The only option I have seen so far is BGP. Is there some sort of DNS product to check for failed links?

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Why don't you just add more than one DNS server to your servers ? If the first one does not respond, it will try the next one and so on...

Hope that helps,

Paresh

Maybe I did not explain it well enough. Say I have 2 ISPs. The external DNS sends all the emails to a specific IP(the primary ISP). When the primary ISP goes down how can I get the emails to the secondary IP? I can use BGP but is there another way to redirect the traffic?

Hi,

You can instruct the provider who maintains your DNS records to install 2 MX records for your domain, the primary one pointing to your ISP1 address and the secondary one pointing to the ISP2 address. The MX record is used by mail servers to determine where to send mail for different domains.

Hope that helps.

Pls remember to rate posts.

Regards,

Paresh.

i2ms_net_sws
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, can you tell me how you can use BGP in this case ?Please provide with example configuration so that I can also implement BGP , I am also looking for such solutions.

Regards

Khalil

khalilm@ivancorp.net

You will have to get with your ISP and set it up with them and they will give you the config that you should use to communicate between the systems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: