Helpful
Replies

Redundant Supervisors - What to do when I want to maintain one Supervisor

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Everyone,

Pretty much what the subject wants. This is for the chassis type switch:

From what I read, you can directly insert another Supervisor w/o shutting down the device.
So, adding an additional supervisor (w/c will be in Active-Standby) is simply opening a slot and inserting the 2nd one

doing #show redundancy and poof! now it is in active standby right?

HOWEVER, what If I want to maintain one of the supervisors? Example I want to remove the current active supervisor

since I want to let us say, clean it, check for hardware errors physically etc. what should I do? What commands should I invoke

for a safe removal of the card? and of course, what do i do again after that maintenance since I want to put it back in again and make it active once again.

Hoping for your help :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rafatur Rahman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Kindly find the answer inline:

-- Adding an additional supervisor (w/c will be in Active-Standby) is simply opening a slot and inserting the 2nd one - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12339266/redundant-supervisors-what-do-when-i-want-maintain-one-supervisor#sthash.6dl4gvgK.dpuf

Answer: Yes, you can add a new supervisor in an up and running switch, without disturbing the current operational status of the switch.

Question:HOWEVER, what If I want to maintain one of the supervisors? Example I want to remove the current active supervisor:

Answer:

If you remove current active supervisor and the standby is in "standby hot" state, it should not impact the switch, the standby sup should become the Active supervisor and the traffic should not be impacted.

however, if the standby is not in the standby hot, and is in RPR or standby cold state, there would be impact.

Hence it is recommended, as a best practice we must not bring down/remove the Active supervisor,

We can follow following steps:

-- Perform force-switchover.

-- Let the standby sup become active.

-- Verify the health state of the switch.

-- Verify the traffic status, once all seems to be working.

-- Then proceed with the removal of the standby supervisor, previously active sup.

-- Perform the desired steps.

-- Insert the Sup module back in the chassis, since you want the Old Active Sup to become Active, you can follow these steps:

-- Verify the diagnostic status of the inserted sup module.

-- Verify the redundancy status.

-- Once all looks good.

-- You can again perform force-switchover.

helpful commands:

#redundancy force-switchover 

# show module

# show redundancy

# show diagnostic result module all

#show diagnostic result module X failure 

HTH,

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rafatur Rahman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Kindly find the answer inline:

-- Adding an additional supervisor (w/c will be in Active-Standby) is simply opening a slot and inserting the 2nd one - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12339266/redundant-supervisors-what-do-when-i-want-maintain-one-supervisor#sthash.6dl4gvgK.dpuf

Answer: Yes, you can add a new supervisor in an up and running switch, without disturbing the current operational status of the switch.

Question:HOWEVER, what If I want to maintain one of the supervisors? Example I want to remove the current active supervisor:

Answer:

If you remove current active supervisor and the standby is in "standby hot" state, it should not impact the switch, the standby sup should become the Active supervisor and the traffic should not be impacted.

however, if the standby is not in the standby hot, and is in RPR or standby cold state, there would be impact.

Hence it is recommended, as a best practice we must not bring down/remove the Active supervisor,

We can follow following steps:

-- Perform force-switchover.

-- Let the standby sup become active.

-- Verify the health state of the switch.

-- Verify the traffic status, once all seems to be working.

-- Then proceed with the removal of the standby supervisor, previously active sup.

-- Perform the desired steps.

-- Insert the Sup module back in the chassis, since you want the Old Active Sup to become Active, you can follow these steps:

-- Verify the diagnostic status of the inserted sup module.

-- Verify the redundancy status.

-- Once all looks good.

-- You can again perform force-switchover.

helpful commands:

#redundancy force-switchover 

# show module

# show redundancy

# show diagnostic result module all

#show diagnostic result module X failure 

HTH,

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: