Views
Helpful
Replies

Resolve Hostname using Windows etc

jeeyishyuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am currently configuring LMS 3.1 to discover devices and display device name using Hostname instead of IP address.

However, IP address in DNS is not bind with the hostname due to some constraints. I have tried to resolve this issue by configuring IP addresses and hostnames under Windows etc folder, hostname file but the problem still persists.

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Yi Shyuan

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This sounds like CSCsv65933 which is fixed in LMS 3.2.

Symptom:

The Device Credential Repository display name attribute is not updated after running Discovery despite the "Update DCR Display Name" box being checked.

Conditions:

This occurs for Common Services 3.2 Discovery.

Workaround:

To have the DCR display name reflect the correct value, the device must be manually edited under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management.

Hi Joe,

After the device is being edited under Common Services, I found out that if I do another round of discovery, DCR will have duplicate device entry. E.g. Device A will have two entries being displayed using Hostname and IP address.

Please advise.

Thanks & Regards,

Yi Shyuan

There may be a problem with reading the ipAddrTables on your devices. But I would recommend you upgrade to LMS 3.2 first to rule out issues with the bug I already mentioned.

Hi Joe,

Any link or documentation on upgrading LMS 3.1 to 3.2?

Thanks & Regards,

Yi Shyuan

Hi Joe,

Forgot to check with you if the upgrading free as my license is LMS 3.1?

Yes, the upgrade is free. The same license applies to LMS 3.2.

Hi Joe,

Where can i get the installation software then? Any link to download?

Hi Joe,

Just viewed the bug code you stated above in bug toolkit. http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsv65933

The problem is actually fixed in 3.3. Do you think if upgrading to LMS 3.2 still help? If yes, where can I download or request a cop of LMS 3.2 software with 3.1 license?

Thanks and Regards,

YS

Common Services 3.3 comes with LMS 3.2. There is no other way to get Common Services 3.3. You can get LMS 3.2 from http://www.cisco.com/go/lms/ .

Hi Joe,

The link only allows me to download evaluation version of LMS 3.2.

Do I have to uninstall LMS 3.1 to run LMS 3.2 installation?

The eval becomes a fully-licensed copy with your existing 3.1 license. No, you do not need to uninstall LMS 3.1 first. Just use the instructions in the install guide link I provided earlier.