cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME 4.0.5 Software update analysis

jlhainy
Level 2
Level 2

Does anyone know why the software analysis is so inaccurate? For example, I did an analysis for a 4500 Sup IV and it states that I should update my flash from 58 mb to 64 mb. However, the image is only 13 mb. I could easily both images on the bootflash.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The problems most likely stem from Cisco.com data issues, inventory collection data, and image attribute data. To check the latter two, perform a new inventory collection for this Cat4500, then go to RME > Software Management > Software Repository, click on the image, and make sure the attributes with regard to RAM and flash are accurate with those on Cisco.com. Then see if the analysis is more correct.

I tried that and the information that is on cisco.com matches my report. So I guess what I am wondering is why is Cisco.com saying you need 64 mb of flash when the size of the .bin file is 14 or 15 mb?

The IOS images are compressed, and space may be required to uncompress and load the image into RAM.

I set up a distribution job and in the job under verification results, it passes and states there are no warning regarding an upgrade to the image.

I was able to manually upgrade another device of the same specs just fine. So, it looks like Ciscoworks is taking the info from cisco.com and that info is just very cautious.

Now on routers if there is not enough room to hold the new ios and the old ios, it will delete the old ios and the new ios is uploaded. Will a 4500 supe do the same? There is no option on ciscoworks to delete the old image if needed.

The same Software Management code that drives most IOS routers drives the Cat4K running IOS, so it will warn about needing to erase the flash.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: