RME 4.x/LMS2.5x Ready yet?

PAUL TRIVINO
Level 3
Level 3
10 Replies 10

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is your question regarding LMS 2.5.x?

Sorry, the message got posted when only the title was done....

At Networkers2005 last year, I discussed upgrading to LMS2.5/RME4.0 with several people, who said these were "not ready for primetime" as of then. I was trying to find out if the apps are now stable and complete enough to be worth the switchover yet. RME3.5 isn't perfect, but my understanding was that 4.0 was an unmitigated junkheap when it was released.

Any opinions? Thanx.

Paul

I would say the opposite.

With LMS 2.5 cisco became serious about integrating the different Ciscoworks applications.

The places where things are to be configured have become logical.

I won't say the product is where it should be, (LMS 2.2 is not either), but the direction where it is going is right.

I certainly would advise anyone using LMS 2.2 to upgrade to LMS 2.5

Cheers,

Michel

Michel, thanx. I am actually more concerned with RME (I don't think we're licensed for LMS, I'm still checking). Any experience with RME4?

Paul

Quite a few nice improvements in RME4.

E.g. the netconfig sees that you have selected IOS and CATOS devices, and shows you the common and IOS and CatOS specific templates you can fill in.

Cheers,

Michel

Keep in mind that the LMS license covers RME

But is the reverse true? RME license includes LMS? We're getting a LOT more switches so LMS might be handy. Thanx.

There is no RME license, there is only an LMS license. LMS is Lan Management Solutions which is the bundle name that is composed of applications including RME, Campus Manager, Cisco View and Device Fault Manager.

Also, RME supports numerous devices including switches.

The license you need is for LMS 2.5, and this will cover RME, CM and DFM

Right, my bad. I meant to say RWAN, at least that's what the bundle w/o Campus Manager *used* to be called. I'm new at my company and only RME, CiscoView and VMS are installed, no DFM or Campus Manager.

It turns out also, that we just got the upgrade to CSM 3.0 which apparently includes CS 3.0.3 and RME 4.0.3 - maybe all they bought was the VMS bundle? So, it looks like I'll be upgrading anyway.

Thanks anyway for your time!

In the latest release we ship, its only called LMS and there is no RWAN. This includes CS, RME, CM, CV and DFM.

It does look like you got the security bundle instead of LMS though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: