cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME - Archive MGT / CONFIG BACKUP HELP

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Where does RME store the backed up config files at? Are they in the standard image format? The reason I ask is we would like to be able to share the folder they are kept in and make scheduled copies of that folder for redundancy purposes, having a tftp server running on a different machine, but making sure both have the sameinformation. Also, as far as I know, unless you can tell me other wise, I can't use LMS as a standard TFTP server to send config files to when I make changes or need to pull them down from the console. I know LMS can somewhat do this it's self, but sometimes it's just easier to do it by hand. Any help would be appreciated. Can you in fact transfer directly to LMS TFTP ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RME can archive the configs to two different locations. The first is the standard archive. This is typically NMSROOT\files\rme\dmca\devfiles on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/devfiles on Solaris (for LMS 2.5+). This directory contains one subdirectory per device. The subdirectories are named after the NetworkElementID RME uses to index the devices. It is not recommended for users to access this directory directly. Backing this directory up by itself is useless since without the corresponding RME database, these IDs are irrelevant. If you want to back things up, use the built-in CiscoWorks backup to backup everything.

The other location is optionally enabled (by default in LMS 2.5.1 and higher). This directory is NMSROOT\files\rme\dcma\shadow on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/shadow on Solaris (for LMS 2.5+). This directory always contains the LATEST config from each device, and is indexed by device type and device name. Users are encouraged to use this directory for disaster recovery, their own scripting, etc. Its contents are not referenced in the database.

You could use the shadow directory in conjunction with the LMS TFTP server to upload configs to devices if you wanted.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RME can archive the configs to two different locations. The first is the standard archive. This is typically NMSROOT\files\rme\dmca\devfiles on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/devfiles on Solaris (for LMS 2.5+). This directory contains one subdirectory per device. The subdirectories are named after the NetworkElementID RME uses to index the devices. It is not recommended for users to access this directory directly. Backing this directory up by itself is useless since without the corresponding RME database, these IDs are irrelevant. If you want to back things up, use the built-in CiscoWorks backup to backup everything.

The other location is optionally enabled (by default in LMS 2.5.1 and higher). This directory is NMSROOT\files\rme\dcma\shadow on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/shadow on Solaris (for LMS 2.5+). This directory always contains the LATEST config from each device, and is indexed by device type and device name. Users are encouraged to use this directory for disaster recovery, their own scripting, etc. Its contents are not referenced in the database.

You could use the shadow directory in conjunction with the LMS TFTP server to upload configs to devices if you wanted.