cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Device Collection failure/UserTracking Hostname

jeffreydorn
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of months ago I upgraded our 2 old 6500 to a pair of 6509 running as a Virtual Switching System.  Now I am having 2 problems that I hope are related.  The first problem is that RME fails when it tries to do an inventory.  The message I get is: "Failed (Device Collection Failed. Device side issue)."

I'm not sure what this means.  All my credentials are correct, and this seems to be the only thing failing.

The next problem I'm having is since I upgraded to the 6509 VSS, User Tracking no longer pulls the device hostname from DNS.  User tracking still works with MAC & IP address, just not with the hostname anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Go to RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices, and edit the device attributes for this device.  Do an inline edit, and change the SNMP timeout to 10 seconds.  Save your changes, then apply them on the previous screen.  Inventory collection should then work.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These are two very different issues.  I will address the RME problem in this thread.  Start a new thread for the Campus Manager problem.

What version of RME do you have?  What version of code is running on the VSS?  Post the IC_Server.log after running an inventory collection job for this VSS.

RME 4.2.0

IOS Version 12.2(33)SXI

[ Tue Dec 29  20:26:51 CST 2009 ],WARN ,[Thread-22],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.util.logger.XDILogger,67,com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryCatSwitch.ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib,g$eval,140,com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryCatSwitch:ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib:g$eval:populating ContainmentAG failed for Entity's AGI, falling back to Cisco-STACK-Mib AGI...

[ Tue Dec 29  20:26:51 CST 2009 ],ERROR,[Thread-22],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.util.logger.XDILogger,57,com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.SdiEngine,initAndEvalAGIs,385,rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M)

[ Tue Dec 29  20:28:40 CST 2009 ],ERROR,[Thread-22],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,721,Exception for device 172.21.90.1 is

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor10.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController.run(CollectionController.java:711)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.CiscoVersionString.parseVersionString(CiscoVersionString.java:154)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.CiscoVersionString.(CiscoVersionString.java:86)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.compareVersions(ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.java:139)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.iosVersionCheck(ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.java:201)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryCatSwitch.ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.g$eval(ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.java:147)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.ContainmentAGI.g$eval(ContainmentAGI.java:21)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.SdiEngine.initAndEvalAGIs(SdiEngine.java:383)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.SdiEngine.request(SdiEngine.java:309)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.SdiEngine.getDevRepr(SdiEngine.java:302)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController.run(CollectionController.java:531)

... 1 more

[ Tue Dec 29  20:28:40 CST 2009 ],ERROR,[Thread-22],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,769,Unknown Exception

java.lang.NumberFormatException: rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.CiscoVersionString.parseVersionString(CiscoVersionString.java:154)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.CiscoVersionString.(CiscoVersionString.java:86)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.compareVersions(ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.java:139)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.iosVersionCheck(ImageAGI_CISCO_ENHANCED_IMAGE_HelperMethods.java:201)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryCatSwitch.ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.g$eval(ContainmentAGI_ENTITY_Mib.java:147)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.ContainmentAGI.g$eval(ContainmentAGI.java:21)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController.run(CollectionController.java:531)

You are seeing CSCsx58694.  A patch is available from TAC to fix this, but the recommended fix is to move to LMS 3.2 (RME 4.3).  You can download LMS 3.2 from http://www.cisco.com/go/lms .  You will get the 3.2 eval, but when that is installed over a licensed copy of 3.1, you will end up with a licensed copy of 3.2.

I will perfrom backups first, but I can just install 3.2 over my existing version and I won't lose anything?  And this is a free upgrade for me?

Thanks

Yes, it is a free upgrade, and yes, you can do an inline upgrade over LMS 3.1.

Hi,

I do have the same issue with IOS 122-33 SXI3  running on 6513.

RME unable to collect the inventory details eventhough updated to LMS 3.2 .

RME version : 4.3.1

Is any workaround to solve this issue on LMS 3.2

Start a new thread for your issue.

OK, finally got upgraded to 3.2.  Here is what I get know when I try to collect inventory from this VSS pair:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor18.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController.run(CollectionController.java:719)

Caused by: com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.system.CollectionFailed: com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.futureapi.SnmpReqTimeoutException: SnmpRequestTimeout on 172.21.90.1 while performing SnmpWalk(*) at index = -1

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.getFlashFileInfoFromDevice(FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.java:139)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.populateFlashAG(FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.java:906)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryCatIOS.FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_Mib.g$eval(FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_Mib.java:68)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.FlashAGI.g$eval(FlashAGI.java:21)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController.run(CollectionController.java:539)

... 1 more

[ Wed Jan 13  15:18:04 CST 2010 ],ERROR,[Thread-17],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,761, Collection failed for the device : 308

com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.system.CollectionFailed: com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.futureapi.SnmpReqTimeoutException: SnmpRequestTimeout on 172.21.90.1 while performing SnmpWalk(*) at index = -1

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.getFlashFileInfoFromDevice(FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.java:139)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibInventory.FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.populateFlashAG(FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_HelperMethods.java:906)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedInventoryCatIOS.FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_Mib.g$eval(FlashAGI_CISCO_FLASH_Mib.java:68)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.ags.FlashAGI.g$eval(FlashAGI.java:21)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController.run(CollectionController.java:539)

[ Wed Jan 13  15:18:04 CST 2010 ],INFO ,[Thread-17],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,841,Device collection failed for 172.21.90.1

[ Wed Jan 13  15:18:04 CST 2010 ],INFO ,[Thread-17],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,1191,No Trap

[ Wed Jan 13  15:18:04 CST 2010 ],INFO ,[Thread-17],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,1203,CALLING SELF TEST

[ Wed Jan 13  15:18:04 CST 2010 ],INFO ,[Thread-17],com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.ics.core.CollectionController,1207,DONE WITH SELF TEST

Go to RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices, and edit the device attributes for this device.  Do an inline edit, and change the SNMP timeout to 10 seconds.  Save your changes, then apply them on the previous screen.  Inventory collection should then work.

That took care of it.  Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: