Views
Helpful
Replies

RME - Device configuration backup

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to Ciscoworks, where I can find the oldest configuration of one device which is configured 1 year back in CiscoWorks?

Purgue is not enabled to remove the old jobs, so we can get the oldest job (configuration of the device) right?

Can some one guide me please how I can get the oldest configuration of one device?

Regards,

Naidu.

22 Replies 22

If you do not configure purging, it will keep all of those configs (provided you have the disk space).

Hi Joe,

Hope you are doing well.

I got to know yesterday that unfortunately we don't have support from Cisco. (they don't buy support)

So as you said earlier I thought to restore the LMS backup....Could you please suggest me in this case how to do LMS restoration.

The attached the file showing the exact path of LMS backup.

In the LMS Server->Directory D:\ -> I have Documents and settings, I386, bootsect.bin, win51, win51is and win51is.sp1

And these files are modified date as 2007 & 2003, So it seems these are not latest backup files if I am correct.

So, which file we need to restor to get old configurations.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi Joe,

Hope you are doing well.

I got to know yesterday that unfortunately we don't have support from Cisco. (they don't buy support)

So as you said earlier I thought to restore the LMS backup....Could you please suggest me in this case how to do LMS restoration.

The attached the file showing the exact path of LMS backup.

In the LMS Server->Directory D:\ -> I have Documents and settings, I386, bootsect.bin, win51, win51is and win51is.sp1

And these files are modified date as 2007 & 2003, So it seems these are not latest backup files if I am correct.

So, which file we need to restor to get old configurations.

Regards,

Naidu.

There should be a directory named as a number (e.g. 0, 1, 2, etc.). That directory holds the LMS backup, and that is what will be restored. For example, say you had d:\backup\0. You would then run:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\restorebackup.pl -d d:\backup -gen 0

It sounds like you don't have any backups, though.

Hi Joe,

I can see the LMS monthly backup set under backup directory D:/ (Please find the attached one)

My present LMS server is Windows

When I logged into the server, the D:/ drive type is CD Drive but it is opening and there are files like..(please find the attached one)

Regards,

Naidu.

Based on this, backups are not working. The way you have it configured, you are backing up one generation to your CD drive which will not work. You would need to change your backup directory to a writable drive. I would also recommend you enable more generations (I recommend at least three). However, at this point, it looks like you do not have any backups from which you can restore LMS.

Hi Joe,

This is very nice conclusion.

I thought to change the backup directory from D (CD drive) to C:\

Could you please tell me more about more generations (I recommend at least three) which you mentioned in your post. And how to enable more generations, so that this will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Naidu.

I would recommend you put backups in a separate subdirectory off of root (e.g. C:\lmsbackup). Each generation is another instance of a backup. If you have multiple, should something go wrong, you have multiple revisions to which you can revert. For my servers, I take nightly backups, and I store five revisions. This gives me a good safety net should I notice a problem.