Views
Helpful
Replies

RME - Device configuration backup

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to Ciscoworks, where I can find the oldest configuration of one device which is configured 1 year back in CiscoWorks?

Purgue is not enabled to remove the old jobs, so we can get the oldest job (configuration of the device) right?

Can some one guide me please how I can get the oldest configuration of one device?

Regards,

Naidu.

22 Replies 22

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go to RME > Config Mgmt > Archive Mgmt > Version Tree. Select your device, and you will be able to see all of the config revisions under its PRIMARY > RUNNING config.

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your response.

I checked the above mentioned path, but there I can see only 8 versions which are for Sep and Oct months, there is no versions for old months.

I am sure there were many changes on that device and purgue not enabled since starting.

I am at strange as my manager rushing me to get that information....Please help me.

Regards,

Naidu.

If the configs are not there, and you do not have a backup of LMS which contains them, then they are lost. Are you absolutely certain config purging is not enabled? Post a screenshot of RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Purge Settings.

Hi Joe,

Please find the attached screenshots for Purge Settings.

Note: I can see the previous backups for another devices having 12 to 13 versions. But the one device only not have more than 8 versions as of now.

Could you please tell me about LMS backup, how can I take which containes all configured devices configurations.

Regards,

Naidu.

Yes, purging is really disabled. Assuming it has always been this way, then the device was never archived prior to September. It could be that perhaps the device was removed from RME and re-added.

LMS backups are configured under Common Services > Server > Admin > Backup. You can have multiple backup generations saved. I recommend retaining at least three backups.

Hi Joe,

Yes, LMS backups are configured for Monthly and the backup directory is D:/

Is it ok if I changed the schedule backup from monthly to weekly?

So, in the above provided directly in LMS Server, can we found the all backup configurations of the devices?

Regards,

Naidu.

You can change the backup to whatever scheduled you'd like. I typically perform nightly backups, and keep five revisions (I have the disk space for it).

Yes, the backups may contain the missing configs. You would need to restore one of them to access those configs, though.

Hi Joe,

Here some points we have to take a look....

1. Device has been configured since 1 year and the daily backup running since that time.

2. In month of August,09 the daily backup has been successfull for the one device which is showing only 8 versions which should show the previous versions.

(I found it in RME->Config Mgmt->Archive Mgmt Jobs) So it means that it should show the previous versions.

3. I am sure that the one device was there since 1 year and not been removed and re-added.

Regards,

Naidu.

RME only archives the config if it has changed. So, while it may be archiving the config every day, it may not create a new archive entry every day.

It's also nearly impossible to troubleshooting something which happened so far in the past. That is why I suggested you restore LMS from a known good backup. From there, it may be possible to see why a config is deleted provided such a deletion is noticed quickly.

Hi Joe,

Once again thank you very much for your all information in this.

But still my manager not listening what information we had and try to explain him about the fact.

Now I want open a case with support team through which we purchased long back this LMS 2.6.

They are asking me like... If we could provide with the ID/serial of Your current installation, then I'm able to ask Cisco Systems for further information, regarding the possibility

As I am new to Ciscoworks and this was purchased long back I dont know from where to get the ID/Serial number of the current LMS 2.6

Could you please guide me from where to get the ID/Serial number.

Thanks in advance,

Naidu :-)

This is not available within the product. The box should have a PIN/PAK number on it. Alternatively, your SAS contract should be good enough to get support.

Hi Joe,

You mean the box which we will get with software CD and other documents at the time of purchase?

Regards,

Naidu.

Yes. There should be a number on the box as well as a paper that came with the box.

Hi Joe,

Small doubt for now...

Since how long the device can will keep its Archive (Versions)

Example say the device configured 12 months back and assume there might be 200 times config change happend then will it keep all 200 versions or it will keep for some time period only? (say for 6 months or something).

Regards,

Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: