Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Sync On Device Job

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking to create an RME job that sync's the config on all of the 250 switches in my network on a Friday evening.

Is there an easy way to do this? I've looked at the Sync On Device job but this only seems to apply to devices that are out of sync. If I schedule this on a weekly basis will it apply to all devices or only those identifyed at the time the job is created?

The only other way I can think of is to create a netconfig job that does a "wr mem" on all devices..

Any help greatfully received.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, the Netconfig job will not work dynamically. Even if you select a group, Netconfig will simply operate on the devices currently in that group.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Netconfig job is the way to go if you want to save running to startup regardless of whether or not the device is out-of-sync.

Thanks for the quick reply

I'm happy to only sync devices that have changed but am worried that if I use the Out-Of-Sync report to schedule a Device sync on a weekly basis that it will only apply to those devices that are changed when I schedule the job (does that make sense??)

eg, If when I schedule the Sync Job switches a,b & c are out of sync then they will sync'd. However, the following week if switches x,y & z are out of sync will the sync job still try and sync a,b & c (even if they're not changed) or is it adaptive and will sync x,y & z??

If you select a device (or devices) From sync on device, then only THOSE devices will be synced regardless of when you schedule the job. That is, you're only selecting a static set of devices, and not a dynamic group.

The Netconfig job will allow you to save the config on all devices regardless of if the configs are out-of-sync. The Netconfig job will also be scheduled for a static set of devices, but you have the ability to choose all devices in your network.

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the answer.

If I set my NetConfig job to apply to a Group configured in Common Services as "dynamic" (based on Device Type for example) will the NetConfig job automatically apply to new devices as I add them to the network??

Alternatively, could I configure the NetConfig job to use the "All Devices" group but would this automatically update as devices are added to the network?

No, the Netconfig job will not work dynamically. Even if you select a group, Netconfig will simply operate on the devices currently in that group.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: