Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

RME - syslog automated actions

With LMS 2.2 we used to use the automated actions to send a 'netsend' to specific workstations to monitor some syslog messages, as well as the email notification.

Is there a way to do this in LMS 2.5.1 ?

I am assuming it would be with a script if possible, and if so an example would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: RME - syslog automated actions

You can also run a batchfile from the automated actions. If you create a batchfile in \CSCOpx\files\scripts\syslog\ you can call it from the automated actions.

There are examples in the helpfile and here is mine.

CD D:\CSCOpx\files\scripts\syslog\blat echo Syslog message generated by device : %* > body.txt

d:\CSCOpx\bin\blat.exe body.txt -t mail1@somewhere.com,mail2@somewhere.com -s "Config of %1 may have changed." -q

This sends a mail but with the device name in the subject unlike the standard mail.

netsend can be called from the batch with the %1 or %* parameters

(this worked just fine on a 2000 server, on a 2003 server I had to copy the cmd.exe in CSCOpx\bin to make it work.)

Cheers,

Michel

Cisco Employee

You should be able to adapt my sample AA script for that. Since I don't know exactly what you were doing before, I could not create a "net send" example.

The important things to know are that %~1 is the name of the device that sent the message and %~2 is the message itself.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Email is trivial to do in LMS 2.5.1. There is a specific typoe of automated action to perform this. As for script-based automated actions, these must either end in .bat (Windows) or .sh (Solaris). They must be placed in either /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/scripts/syslog (Solaris) or NMSROOT\files\scripts\syslog (Windows).

An example Windows automated action script would be:

@ECHO OFF

echo "Syslog Message from %~1" > C:\TEMP\%~1.txt

echo "Message body: %~2" >> C:\TEMP\%~1.txt

Where %1 is the name of the device and %2 is the syslog message itself. The "%~" is special notation for Windows that means expand the variable removing any embedded quotes. The result of this script would be to create a file under C:\TEMP named after the device with the syslog information in it.

More help is available in the RME online context sensititve help.

Community Member

Thanks for the reply, the email side is all working OK.

What I am trying to do is re-create the funtionality where I did a 'net send' of the syslog message to several hosts.

Thanks

Silver

You can also run a batchfile from the automated actions. If you create a batchfile in \CSCOpx\files\scripts\syslog\ you can call it from the automated actions.

There are examples in the helpfile and here is mine.

CD D:\CSCOpx\files\scripts\syslog\blat echo Syslog message generated by device : %* > body.txt

d:\CSCOpx\bin\blat.exe body.txt -t mail1@somewhere.com,mail2@somewhere.com -s "Config of %1 may have changed." -q

This sends a mail but with the device name in the subject unlike the standard mail.

netsend can be called from the batch with the %1 or %* parameters

(this worked just fine on a 2000 server, on a 2003 server I had to copy the cmd.exe in CSCOpx\bin to make it work.)

Cheers,

Michel

Cisco Employee

You should be able to adapt my sample AA script for that. Since I don't know exactly what you were doing before, I could not create a "net send" example.

The important things to know are that %~1 is the name of the device that sent the message and %~2 is the message itself.

Community Member

Thanks, that has solved it.

Just used - net send 'hostname' %* - for each user (comma separated)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content