cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rmeptt.sh questions

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just saw the option for rmeptt during an LMS 3.2 upgrade. I had never noticed this little nugget on many previous upgrades. A little search shows it's been there since LMS 2.6. I'm wondering if the following verbiage implies its effectiveness is significantly or completely negated if used on LMS instances that've been running a while.

"Therefore, PTT is a very useful tool to use when  CiscoWorks LMS is installed fresh out of the box."

Secondly, given the "tuning" it does, should I be concerned about this tool making changes that allows LMS to monopolize resources on servers shared other resource-hungry NMS products. Specifically, I'm concerned about the potential impact to CA/Concord eHealth NPM 6.2 (with LiveHealth) on the same box. CA advises strongly against eHealth sharing server with other apps due to EH's own resource demands, but circumstances beyond my control dictated that LMS and EH have been sharing the same host together.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It very well could.  The PTT increases some heap sizes for processes as well as thread counts.  This is done to increase performance within LMS at the expense of system resources.  If LMS is on a shared system, then that could impact other resource-hungry applications.  The PTT requires a multi-CPU system with at least 4 GB of RAM.  If you have more than two CPUs, and more than 4 GB of RAM (for your other apps), you should be fine.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It very well could.  The PTT increases some heap sizes for processes as well as thread counts.  This is done to increase performance within LMS at the expense of system resources.  If LMS is on a shared system, then that could impact other resource-hungry applications.  The PTT requires a multi-CPU system with at least 4 GB of RAM.  If you have more than two CPUs, and more than 4 GB of RAM (for your other apps), you should be fine.