cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Configuration

HouVivian1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am a student at an academy and I messed up my router...

When trying to change the configuration registry, I accidentally entered 0x2132

However, before I could fix it I had to leave. The next day, the router no longer responded to hyperterminal. A friend from an earlier class told me the last know config of that router was 0x3102.

Can someone please tell me what that registry causes the router to do, and how I can fix it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have an IOS Configuration Register decoder at http://www.marcuscom.com/confregdecode.html that can help you with problems like this in the future. The register values cause the baud rate to change. The new rate will depend on the router platform.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

david_r
Level 1
Level 1

0x2132 -- try your hyperterminal at 19200 baud

0x3102 -- try your baud at 1200

Ok, so I set the baud rate to 1200, and I was able to talk to the router again. However, when I tried to change the config registry back to 0x2102 it does not work. I change it, then I reload the router. The router still loads up as 0x3102, I am not sure what is going on...

I tried pulling the flash out, and entering rommon, but rommon is acting very strangely. the baud rate at 1200 is the only way i can get the router to respond, but whenever i try to type any commands in rommon, it gives me a series a strangely sequenced letters.

Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks so much...

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have an IOS Configuration Register decoder at http://www.marcuscom.com/confregdecode.html that can help you with problems like this in the future. The register values cause the baud rate to change. The new rate will depend on the router platform.

mrmozaffari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If you change the config-register to 0x2132 it means the router will boot from flash and hyper terminal boud rate to 19200.

So if you want to access to your router again through Hyper Terminal change Baud rate or speed of Hyper terminal to 19200.

By default the config-register should be 0x2102 it means router boots from flash and you can access it with 9600 baud rate.

If you change the config-register to 0x3102 it means you should change the baud rate to 1200 to connect to your router.

Please Rate Helpfull posts.

Best regards

Bahman mozaffari.

Hi

Update: I pulled the flash out and booted it up into rommon. I then set the confreg as 0x2142. When I put the flash back in and boot it up, its fine. But if I attempt to change the registry back to 0x2102 and reload it, the registry changes back to 0x3102. How can I fix this?

P.s The IOS is fine, I checked it.

Thanks

Is your router writing your change?

Why not boot into rommon and set it to 2102?

Hi,

I have done that before, but strangely enough it still loads into 0x3102.

I had this problem with a router in 1905, to solve: 
1st I went into rommon mode and changed the configuration register to 0x2142 in the same way we do for password cracking. 
2nd to restart the router normally he has risen, so I went back to the config-register 0x2102 again and rebooted the router again. 
with this procedure, started functioning normally. Obrigado

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: