cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running configuration message

josephp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks, I recently inherited some routers I noticed that on some of them I get this message when I run the show running configuration command.

Current configuration : 4097 bytes

!

! Last configuration change at 09:45:01 GMT Wed Nov 5 2008

!

Can someone please help me as to how can I configure the rest of my gear to give out this message. I think its a helpful feature in determining the last configuration change.

Thanks in advanced I appreciate it.

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This will show up for all devices when you issue a "show run" provided they have had a config change since reboot. If not, you will see:

No configuration change since last restart

jclarke, I just made some changes and issued a show run on my 3825 and I don't see that message.

Your device's clock needs to be synchronized either with NTP or by using "clock set".

I am currently configuring our 2821 router and it does not show the message "! No configuration change since last restart

!" It currently shows the following:

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 7306 bytes

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime show-timezone

service timestamps log datetime msec localtime show-timezone

service password-encryption

How can I make it show the last time it was updated or not like our other routers?

If you have already configured NTP, or set your clock to be authoritative, then start a new thread for your problem.

jclarke, I set the clock and configure the timezone, now I can see the message. I did not do any NTP configuration.

Thanks,

JP

Tom,

Try to set the clock on your router, also try to set the timezone. I did this with "timezone EST -5" it did not work so I used EDT -5 instead, now I can see that message. Here's the show run from my router.

TS1#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 2933 bytes

!

! Last configuration change at 08:24:10 EDT Tue Dec 16 2008

! NVRAM config last updated at 16:48:12 EDT Thu Jan 1 2009

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname TS1

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

! card type command needed for slot/vwic-slot 0/0

logging message-counter syslog

!

no aaa new-model

clock timezone EDT -5

clock summer-time EDT recurring

no network-clock-participate slot 2

!

JP - and Tom

Setting the timezone is nice but not essential to display the message about last config change. If you set the timezone then the message displays the time in terms of the local timezone - and with no timezone set the message will just use whatever is set as the time on the device (might be local time or might be GMT/UTC).

What is essential is for the router/switch to have authoritative time. The router/switch will believe that it has authoritative time if it has learned time via NTP OR if you have executed the clock set command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: