cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 DNS Lookup Failure

eric
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to appologize for my lack of knowledge on this subject in comparison to probably anyone reading this. I manage a small business with 10 computers running off my network. They are all connected to the internet through a RV016. We recently created a new website and purchased a new domain through In Motion Hosting. I have a randomly reoccuring issue, usually in the morning, that seems to resolve itself after a couple hours on it's own. I have dealt with tech support from In Motion Hosting and my ISP who have both come to the determination that the problem lies within my gateway.

When I attempt to log on to my companies website (www.ronnysinc.com) my browser is unable to locate the webpage. Also, if I try to access the website for In Motion Hosting (www.inmotionhosting.com) or to access our webmail (www.ronnysinc.com/webmail) I am unable to do so because the DNS lookup failed. I can view any other web page on the internet without a problem. I can not ping or tracert either website successfully, however when I called In Motion Hosting and got the IP adresses for the two I was able to ping and tracert them without a problem.

As I said the problem happens randomly and seems to resolve itself within 2-8 hours. However we are unable to access our email durring these "blackouts" which is becoming a huge problem.

Is there a setting within the RV016 that might be causing this to happen? Or do I need to replace the unit? Someone please help!!!!

6 Replies 6

eric
Level 1
Level 1

Also, if I connect one of the computers directly to the modem, bypassing the RV016, I have no issues.

Eric

From what you have told us so far it sounds like the problem is that for some reason your RV016 has learned an incorrect DNS resolution for these sites. It has that incorrect address in its DNS cache. After several hours the cache ages out and the RV016 tries again and learns the correct address.

Can you give us the configuration of the RV016 - especially any part related to DNS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank You Rick,

Again, I am not the most tech saavy person. What settings exactly do you need?, when I log into the router where do I find them?

Eric

When you log in to the router are you logging in to the command prompt or are you using the web based GUI?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sorry Rick, I was logging on via the web based GUI. If you can tell me the command to run in a command promt to get those settings I will go ahead and run that immediately.

Eric

I have not been familiar with the RV016. So I took a quick look at the manual for it and discover that there does not seem to be a command line option for it (as there is for many of the Cisco routers). So ignore my question about command line information.

Having looked at parts of the manual I have a couple of questions:

- the manual talks about an option for hosting a web site and registering its name using Dynamic DNS. Are you using this option?

- I had originally assumed that it was a problem on the RV016 but am now thinking that it might be a problem with DNS resolution from the PCs. What is in the PCs for DNS? Are the PCs using the RV016 as their DNS server (which seems to be an option according to the manual) or are they pointed at some external DNS server?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick