cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same box LMS 2.6 upgrade from LMS 2.2 issue

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

/opt/CSCOpx is a symlink to /product/CSCO/CSCOpx created by LMS 2.2 installaton. I tried modifying the following two files to point to /opt/CSCOpx rather than /product/CSCO/CSCOpx, before executing setup.sh, to no avail. It seems they get written over with "/product/CSCO/CSCOpx" everytime during pkgadd of CSCOcore:

/opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.cshrc

/opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.profile

Installation of <CSCOcsv> was successful.

application CSCOcsv Command Service Library

INFO: performing pkgadd -a /tmp/cscotmp/CSCO.admin -d /lms26/cs33/packages CSCOcore

/opt/CSCOpx

INFO: Package CSCOcore - Installed. Correcting pkgchk errors - Done.

Processing package instance <CSCOcore> from </lms26/cs33/packages>

Installation of <CSCOcore> was successful.

application CSCOcore CWCS Utilities

ERROR: /opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.cshrc

ERROR: file size <199> expected <244> actual

ERROR: file cksum <16370> expected <20235> actual

ERROR: /opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.profile

ERROR: file size <204> expected <249> actual

ERROR: file cksum <16806> expected <20671> actual

ERROR: Package verification failed : CSCOcore aborting.

=================================================================

Finished: Wed Mar 28 15:22:21 EDT 2007

===============- Software Installation Tool Completed -==============

===================- Possible Warnings/Errors Encountered -===================

WARNING: This is an upgrade to CiscoView 6.1.2. The CiscoView related data like

WARNING: Device List,Preferences etc. will not be preserved during the upgrade.

WARNING: Exiting installation beyond this point might result in system instability.

ERROR: /opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.cshrc

ERROR: file size <199> expected <244> actual

ERROR: file cksum <16370> expected <20235> actual

ERROR: /opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.profile

ERROR: file size <204> expected <249> actual

ERROR: file cksum <16806> expected <20671> actual

=====================================================================

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please attach the full install log and the /var/sadm/install/contents file from this server to the SR. I also noticed you were not installing from CD. We strongly recommend CD-based installations where applicable to prevent installation problems.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This error is focusing on the size and checksum of the files more than the location. Did you modify the contents of these files? They should contain the non-canonical NMSROOT path (i.e. /opt/CSCOpx).

It seems to me pkgadd of CSCOcore (done by Common Service 3.3's setup.sh) is the one that replaced /opt/CSCOpx with /product/CSCO/CSCOpx in those files, everytime.

Much earlier during the installation:

INFO: Verifying image for package CSCOcsv...OK.

INFO: Verifying image for package CSCOcore...OK.

INFO: Verifying image for package CSCOapch...OK.

I'm puzzled then why later on it felt the need of "INFO: Package CSCOcore - Installed. Correcting pkgchk errors - Done."

The early package verification checks are done against the install media. The later pkgchk repair is done against what is installed. However, this kind of package problem cannot be repaired.

You may have found a bug with custom path installations on Solaris. Since it sounds like this is reliably reproducible. I recommend you open a TAC service request so a new bug can be filed if needed.

In the meantime, is there any workaround? The only one I can think of is grepping for CSCOtools (the pkg installed in front of CSCOcore) in the install log, and as soon as I see it, try to overwrite the two "bad" files with copies I made containing "/opt/CSCOpx", repeatedly. This approach seems really iffy even on paper.

Or, I can explore abandoning the custom install path all together. Then the question becomes: Are there any existing LMS 2.2 files I need to modify that have /product/CSCO/CSCOpx hardcoded, so LMS 2.6 can forget about /product completely? One immediate issue coming to mind is: While LMS 2.2 symlinks /opt/CSCOpx to /product/CSCO/CSCOpx, RWAN's IPM 2.5 just installs straight into /product/CSCO/CSCOipm, CSCOcwbS, etc., without and linking with /opt.

Oh great, it's not happy either way:

===============- Software Installation Tool Completed -==============

===================- Possible Warnings/Errors Encountered -===================

WARNING: This is an upgrade to CiscoView 6.1.2. The CiscoView related data like

WARNING: Device List,Preferences etc. will not be preserved during the upgrade.

WARNING: Exiting installation beyond this point might result in system instability.

ERROR: /product/CSCO/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.cshrc

ERROR: file size <244> expected <199> actual

ERROR: file cksum <20235> expected <16370> actual

ERROR: /product/CSCO/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.profile

ERROR: file size <249> expected <204> actual

ERROR: file cksum <20671> expected <16806> actual

=====================================================================

Unfortunately, I do not have a server I can use to test a custom installation at this point. That is why I suggested you open a TAC service request so more research can be done.

I have an S2 TAC case opened. Do you know what kind of turnaround time I could expect for an issue such as this?

I couldn't find any existing bugs related to this problem, so a new one may need to be filed. With a possible recreate involved to create the bug, it could be a while. What is the SR number?

605700989. LMS 2.2 End-of-Support is end of June 2007, right?

Please attach the full install log and the /var/sadm/install/contents file from this server to the SR. I also noticed you were not installing from CD. We strongly recommend CD-based installations where applicable to prevent installation problems.

Will do. Does it matter I was installing from CD images mounted with "lofiadm -a" and "mount -F hsfs"?

Image mounting was not tested. While I see no reason why it should not work, it would be safest to do the install from a real mounted CD.

I found the (or a) problem. This is what I suspected. The coreinstall files have duplicate contents entries. Try this:

* Backup /var/sadm/install/contents

* Remove the two entries for /opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.profile and /opt/CSCOpx/etc/coreinstall.cshrc:

/opt/CSCOpx/etc/copyright/CSCOxrcs.copyright f xerces 0640 casuser casusers 49 3925 1040130052 CSCOxrcs

/opt/CSCOpx/etc/copyright/CSCOxrts.copyright f pxxrts 0640 casuser casusers 2035 14288 1132763479 CSCOxrts

* Save the contents file, and redo the installation

This should work for you (unless there is other contents corruption I missed). DO NOT proceed with this until you have a good backup of contents.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: