cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Scaling CW past 5000 devices

mark.margolin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with approx 8000 devices. Ideally I need to see a view of the entire network. Ciscoworks doco states that it has a limitation of 5000. Except for segmenting the network into different management areas does anyone have any suggestions?

5 Replies 5

henniae
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting set to do just this.

I have about 10,000 devices. I would get the "LMS 2.5 Large Scale Deployment Design Paper.pdf" from Cisco, lots of good info in there.

Once you have over 5000 devices you will need multiple servers. Here is what I plan to do

Box #1 Runs Common Services and DCR only and is the master DCR and SSO server

Box #2 Runs Common Services and RME and is a slave SSO

Box #3 Runs Common Services and RME and is a slave SSO

Box #4,5,6,7 Runs Common Services and Campus Manager and is a slave SSO

Box #8,9,10,11 Runs Common Services and DFM and is a slave SSO

One more thing. I am running LMS 2.5.1. This will ot work if you are on not on 2.5.1

I have 7 servers planned for an almost identical scenario. BUT, does the 5000 device limit apply when a common DCR is used across multiple servers?

This is the one thing that I am not sure of from the Large scale deployment guide. Our local Cisco Ciscoworks person said that the 5000 limit still applies. hmmm

My understanding is that a stand-alone DCR can scale to 50,000 devices, but this is only if the server only runs Common Services and acts as a DCR and SSO server. The standard limits still apply to the remaining apps. RME on a seperate box from the DCR still has a limit of 5000 devices.

So what your saying is that if the following:

The DCR should only run Common Services to scale past 5000 devices. This means that if you wish to see the entire network from a global view you cannot since you need to install RME on the master to view everything. But RME will not support more than 5000 devices. You need to go to the individual servers to view and perform the different tasks.

This to me means that you are no better off by running this scenario. It would make just as much sense to run standalone servers.

Is there a benefit in having a common DCR if I exceed the 5000 limit?

Do I have this right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: